Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding the Web | Origin: CS107

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Advising Students on Using Digital Career-Marketing Strategies --> Understanding the Web

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Companies are looking to measure what a person can do through interactive engagements than what they have done as represented on a resume. Also, your social media presence is very important as it will be reviewed by potential employers.

I agree that social media knowledge can determine your access to the best career choices.

Companies are moving more away from traditional resumes, and are moving more towards programs that do assessment testing. This can show what an applicant can do versus what they have done. Making sure your social media is cleaned up is more important than ever.

Many changes in the hiring process when it comes to screening applicants. Applicants need to keep in mind that their social media plays a major role even if they feel it shouldn't. Learning to accept the change to obtain a job is the biggest thing for graduates.

From static to dynamic, interactive to data yielding sematic, internet access has drastically altered the dynamics of our lives in a mere decade. Social interactions, academia, agriculture, business, medicine, pharmacy, marketing, banking, shopping, employee recruiting and training, etc... the list of fileds drastically morphed by the ready access to a much broader world at the tip of our fingers is endless. As with any fast-evolving field, collateral damage such as identity theft or breach of privacy is inevitable. Reactively, the indrustries' affected demand further research, discovery and growth; a development of necessary systems that are designed to keep the new, elctronic world safe; such as HIPAA, for example. Regardless of said inevitable ill-fated outcomes of the digital evolution, the one certain notion is that the implementation and continuous growth of technological and digital industires have exponentially improve upon the quality of human life. Nora Wade, M.S.        

Networking on social media, as well as marketing yourself, are vital in today's world.  It is important to know that employer's can view what you post.

I learned that there are many trends changing in the hiring process, and it's very important to keep up the new hiring trends

I learned that online information can be collected by employers and used to select the best candidate. Job seekers should strive to present themselves in the best possible way. I can recommend that to my students. 

online content can be collected by employers to help select the bes fit for their company

Discovered new sites & different philosophy when advising students about getting hired.  Resumes look at past accomplishments rather than the present and websites like MindSumo focus on real life skills. 

Companies check websites to look for potential employees.  Some people have lost opportunities for jobs because of negative information on their profile pages.  The internet is an excellent tool to brand oneself.

I had not heard that Resumes could be replaced by professional social media pages such as linkedin, but after reading this I could see how this could happen.  I know people visit my pages on my professional media pages often.  

It is improtant for students and graduates to understand the significance of creating their own brand. This will help them stand out to employers and recruiters

Social currency is incredibly relevant today. Who are you and what do you do. I'm sure potential employers look through the web to find out who this person is that they are potentially hiring.  I agree with the articles that resumes are going to change and they'll be much more dynamic and have embedded material. Sites like Linked-in will connect with more and more third-party sites to easily send your information over in a much more intuitive way than now.

Already students want to know where they stand in the process. Did they get my resume, is it in the hands of the hiring manager? Have I made it past the first wave? With the information in pockets, people want to know how they fare in the thick of the competition.

Applicants need to preferably maintain social media presence that they would not need to change if a future employer was looking at it.

Companies are having candidates complete a practical application over the web to guage abilities and knowledge. Also, the electronic media age is here and we have to change with the times, be aware of our brand and what it says to potential employers.

A social media presence can help or hurt you depending on how you craft your exposure. I also learned about the idea of looking at skill abilities and not resumes. 

Social media and social networking are two different things. There are other meand of social networking that do not involve the social media.  Although you can use social media to social network it doesn't have to be so. If you do not know how to mix the two, stay away from social media. 

I learned that as Career Counselors we have to stay current on trends in hiring so we can best meet the needs of our students and put them in the best possible hiring position.  Reminding students to be mindful of their social media footprint is always going to be key and part of the coaching conversation. It’s interesting that there is a way for businesses to aggregate data from the web to find candidates and predict fit. 

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities