Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have learned that an educational institution has 45 days to review and respond to a student's request to educational records.

I had some general knowledge about FERPA and why it was created. Now I will be more careful regarding confidetiality of my students information. 

Understanding what information is deemed private and how to protect it is essential to ensuring student rights.  FERPA also provides legal protections and guidelines that stipulate student access to information related to their education.   However, specifying what is deemed to be a student record and what is not also protects university employees in maintaining records that are not identifying and/or shared.   The use of MUST and MAY here are determinates of how the university should act in situations,  Similarly, the goal of transparency should be honored to the most extent to avoid misunderstandings and the escalation to legal remedies.  Under the law -failure to comply with federal mandates could result in financial penalties and punitive actions to the university.  As a result. Universities and their agents should know and follow FERPA laws and also where possible, act in student’s interests.

I have learned the importance of safeguarding PII and at the same time understanding what constitute directory service.  FERPA makes it easier to understand who is resposible for what as well as how to ensure that everyone undestands their roles to include the students as to thier options in the protection of their infomration.

I learned a lot about respecting student rights regarding educational records. Will definitely use this infomation every day whenthe need arises.

I learned a lot that I did not know about privacy pertaining to educational records. Will definitely use this information when the need arises.

FERPA demonstrates the protection of both staff and more so, for the students information records.

I learned that FERPA is for parents for k through high school.   And pertains to students beyond high school.

As an adjunct faculty member, I don't see this impacting me directly, and even moreso as an online instructor.  But - I do understand the need.  I question the example of notes taken by a predecessor that are passed to a successor not being excluded from student's rights to view.

This importance of protecting student privacy, how the student will need to request their information, and importantly the proper steps we must take to ensure we comply with the policy when providing them their information. 

From this course thus far, I have gained a better understanding of what FERPA is, what are considered the academic records of students and how a student get his or her record amended, if applicable. I also learned that a school is not required to maintain particular education records or education records that contain specific information.

FERPA compliance, what is an official record, official.

It has reinforced some of my prior learning and clarified terms more clearly. Thank you 

I have learned how important it is to carefully maintain student privacy and enable access to records.

This information presented is very significant and important in order to protect the privacy of the students and to make sure that all of us are complying with the laws and regulations when it comes to student information. 

The most interesting information was the fact that the advisor's notes are not consider educational records and the students have the right to read them.

Dr. K.

Comfidentiality.

This reminds me of the seriousness of protecting the privacy of my students and I will always carefully consider any sharing of student information with others and further support and utilize tools that protect the information and only permit it to be shared with the appropriate people.

Very good information about privacy of students and the learning process.

FERPA is designed to protect the student’s rights regarding accessing their student files, their rights of confidentiality and privacy. This training educates us on how to deal with the students' information.

I learned that once a student's record changes hands (new advisor, etc) the hand wrrtten notes of the previous advisor are no longer considered "priviledged" information.

FERPA applies to all students and all of their personally information.

Sign In to comment