Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Prevention and Education | Origin: CM140

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Title IX and VAWA Training: Building Safer Campuses --> Prevention and Education

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Educating staff, faculty, and students about domestic violence, date violence, stalking, harrassment, etc., along with safety measures provided for on and off campus activities is imperative.  Reviewing an institutions polices and practices for this education and their safety measures should occur after an incident is reported as well as routinely, even if their institution has not been made aware of any instances.

It's important that all staff and students are educating regarding sexual harrassment, domestic violence, rape, stalking, etc.  Information provides an powerful tool to help prevent misconduct.

This has been excellent information; much of what I teach in my Human Sexuality class for Garden City Community College.  I have found that understanding consent is very important for everyone to know, as this can either be unclear, or misunderstood.  

In our current "Me Too" movement, the public is becoming more aware of all of this.  People are beginning to see what constitutes healthy relationships versus unhealthy and basically abusive relationships.  The more this is brought to attention, more people will be able to bring complaints of abuse whether it is female or male.  

Interim measures allows the victim to receive some protection prior to any sanctions that may occcur.  Sanctions can help to eliminate a hostile environment and prevent re-occurence of an action. 

It is important to know the difference between sexual harrassment, domestic violence, Stalking and Dating Violence.  Iterium measures can be very important to make sure that the violence or act does not get repeated.

My biggest takeway is how consent is defined. It needs to be a very CLEAR understanding between two adults and consent needs to be explicit and not assumed.

Educating staff, faculty, and students about domestic violence, date violence, stalking, harrassment, etc., along with safety measures provided for on and off campus activities is imperative.

It is important to educate faculty and students that VAWA crimes include domestic violence and dating violence.

All associated with the organization should be educated

It's important for the Title IX Coordinator to have background knowledge of the psychological effects of sexual assault in order to make and objective assessment.

The two callouts that I see from this information is consent and online instruction application.  Consent continues to be an evolving definition that deserves continual review and revision.  Online instruction application of Title IX and VAWA requires deeper relationships with our students to ensure we build a safe environment.

Sexual violence is an aware of problem. it will not happen to me. We as educators need to be on the lookout for problem areas. Training is the only way to have an idea, of what is going on out there, and on our Campus.

I agree training on the signs is critical to stoping sexual violence, education is another way to help people and to show them what is going on out there is real and to not take lightly. To be aware of there situation and surrounding environment.

It is important that students be aware of signs a peer may be considering having unwanted sexual encounters with persons incapacitated by alcohol and/or drugs and be empowered to intervene.

Understanding the nutes and bolt of the policy is critical. 

Is it a violation of Title IX to retaliate against a witness who testifies that the alleged sexual misconduct did not occur? While protecting a complainant who is a victim is important, strangely enough, so is protecting the being complained against. The Duke lacrosse team was abused publlically by people in the Duke community after the false complaint.

Consent...  I think it is important for everyone involved to know that consent can be withdrawn at any time.

This shall facilitate trauma and post tramatic issues if this is acted upon immediately.

Sign In to comment