Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Communication, teaching and understanding the policies is essential in understanding the polices and procedures that will help to guide practice. 

Comment on Judy Whitehill's post: yes 

I found it interesting that a criminal complaint could have a different outcome then what an institution's outcome on their Title IX and VAWA findings. 

Even though 60 days is considered the average time period to report, the report and investigation might be over that 60-day time frame. If that happens, so be it.

A Title IX case may not result in incarceration but will result in termination at the institute. 

The importance of reporting an incident to the Title IX Coordinator and Police. 

The school MUST investigate any compliant that comes forward.  All policies must be looked at and refined at all times.

Having communication is key, as well as understanding that a person may file a criminal complaint which does not affect the Title IX or VAWA.  It is important that the students and employees know that there are avenues to take and they do not just have to put up with unacceptable behavior.

VAWA rules and jurisdiction can differ from Title IX policy . When in doubt, apply the more stringent of the two.   

It is important that students feel safe at school.

Comment on Sheila Heinert's post: i completely agree with you. This course was very beneficial and an eye opener.

I learned about cyber bullying is added to be reported on or off campus. 

Comment on Lisa Creach's post: I agree. 

There is a difference in Title IX and VAWA as to jurisdiction in terms of locality of the violative act incurred. 

I learned that not all campus cases are reported to the police though do agree with a full investigation. I believe all instances of sexual misconduct should be reported to the police however, and would encourage so. 

Regardless of if an act of cyberstalking occurred on campus or not, a school is obligated to investigate. 

This module as well as my facilities policies on Title IX and VAWA have brought to my awareness the federally mandated nature of reporting these types of complaints. I will be more aware and make my students aware of the need to report information that they receive about sexual harassment and crimes of a sexual nature that are federally prohibited. 

Even if an incident such as cyberstalking or harassment occurs off campus, if that incident affects the student's welfare or on-campus presence then it must also be investigated under title IX.

What this unit made clear is that a Title IX violations can be multi-layered a complex. A clear and thoughtful review of the context(s), accusations, and implications of a violation is imperative before the investigation can move forward.

Even if a victim does not want to report a Title IX violation to the police, it is important to still provide the victim with all the available resources to support and assist them.

I was surprised to find out the grievance process is not streamlined. It makes me wonder when I hear stories on the news of universities being sued for violations of Title IX could that have been prevented if the process was actually streamlined rather than giving each university a set list of guidelines to follow and allowing each school to create there own process. Is this not leaving opportunity for unintentional error by the school? 

Sign In to comment