Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is important to re-evaluate and update often.  I would think especially with on-line education and the changes in technology.  I'd guess some students could get pretty creative and inappropriate behind the keyboard, unfortunately.

Investigationsv may include, vaguely,

• ''Other similar incidents on campus; and
  • Any other relevant information.''

but properly must respect the rights of both parties equally, including thazt both have similar opportunities to testify.

What is involved for the considerations all employees Involved in Disciplinary Proceedings and the order it should transpire.

Keep in mind the scope of requirements that Clery and VAWA require and just because something is not required by one but is by the other doesn't mean it isn't important and can be ignored.  Safety for everyone involved is important.

Regardless of whether the incident happened on or off campus it need to be reported and investigated. Speaking in general, some people do not like getting involved and chooses to say nothing but again regardless it needs to be reported and investigated. I could not imagine if it was me or a loved one let alone a student or employee. Saftey should always be a first priority of any campus.

A school also should train responsible employees to inform students oft he reporting obligations of responsible employees, students’ option to request confidentiality and available confidential advocacy, counseling, or other support services as well as their right to file a Title IX complaint with the school and to report a crime to campus or local law enforcement

All and any incidences of on-campus and off-campus incidences that involve sexual harassment, sexual violence, physical or cyber-stalking, and the case of a hostile work-place environment should be monitored by the Office of Title IX and should be investigated.

Many instances of Titole IX may happen off campus or at other institutions and must be investigated, but not necessarily reported, according to the Cleary Act.

I totally agree with checking into all aspects of investigating alligations cocncerning both parties. Providing the accuser the oppertunity to attain a safer atmospher during the process, while at the same time affording the accused equal preperation for defense.

I found it interesting as to how much flexibility that schools  have in terms of grievance procedures and investigations.

Reply to Raymond Pelky's post: I was going to say something similar. 

Its easier to make one-to-one time with students in a face-to-face class so students can approach instructor with an issue. I say, make available, one-to-one times to meet with students so they have the avenue to bring up issues with Title IX offenses. 

It's important to recognize that the lack of consent is central to sexual harassment and violence. For example, not resisting sexual advancement from someone does not mean that consent is automatically given. Moreover, consent on one occasion also does not  mean consent to the same behavior on a later occasion.

Credibility should be evaluated as objectively as possible and based on a variety of factors including, but not limited to, the person’s demeanor, motivation for or interest in the situation, level of detail provided or not provided, corroboration or contradiction of details through other witnesses or through physical evidence, inconsistency or consistency of past and current statements, and other factors.

The Title IX investigation the institution takes is unrelated to a criminal one. The school must act right away to begin its internal/private/independent investigation regardless of what other filings have been put in motion. If there is overlap, the school must comply, of course. 

Whether an incident occured on campus or not it still should be encouraged to report and in a timely manner. But understanding the diffrence in criminal investigation and Title Ix investigation for the filling. 

A school is required to take immediate action even if a victim did not report anything yet. The place of occurrence is not relevant; everything has to be addressed and reported accordingly. 

Vawa and Title IX seem to have different requirements and responsibilities for schools.

Communication is key and reviewing policies is very important for everone.

This portion of the training discussed the grievance procedures. The Title IX coordinator is responsible for investigating the grievance and then reporting it to the necessary authorities. Moreover, the Coordinator may need to conduct a hearing to determine if the student or employee should be removed from the institution. The most important thing during this prcoess is to be fair and equitable with all parties involved. 

Sign In to comment