Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reporting and Response | Origin: CM140

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Title IX and VAWA Training: Building Safer Campuses --> Reporting and Response

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

The Title IX Coordinator has the important role of being visible and authoritative in order to train students and college faculty and staff, conduct survey's of the climate, process requests for confidentiality, maintain record keeping, modify and increase safety measures when needed and to continually review the effectiveness on campus. Here again, since we are on online educational source I see the role of Title IX Coordinator as being a difficult one. The colleges of our consortium are probably the better sources of this role.

The role of the Title IX Coordinator is to be visible to students, faculty and staff to provide training, conduct climate surveys, process requests for confidentiality, maintain records, modify and increase safety measures and policies when needed, and to continually review the effectiveness of these policies on campus. 

The role of the Title IX Coordinator is to be visible to all employees and students to provide training, conduct climate surveys, process requests for confidentiality, maintain records, modify and increase safety measures and policies when needed, and to continually review the effectiveness of these policies on campus. 

Each institution must designate a Title IX coordinator.  In smaller schools, this does not have to be full-time position.  This person coordinates efforts to review and respond to all complaints of sexual discrimination and to work with other employees to prevent sex-based and gender-based harassment.  

The Title IX coordinator should help provide training for students and employees.  He/she should help the school develop a method to survey the campus climate, shoud maintain confidentiality, should coordinate recordkeeping, increase safety measures, and review effectiveness of efforts to ensure the school is free from sexual and gender-based harassment.   

This was extremely informative and I have become more knowledgeable what the roles and responsibilities of a title IX coordinato. 

Confidentiality is very important to protect all parties.  

The victim does not have to report an incident in order for an investigation to be held.  If an institution learns of an incident, even through soical media, they need to do a prompt investigation. 

The informaiton provided in this program is comprehensive, and very well organized for presenttation. 

I work in an on-line environment so this might present a little differently by a student being targeted on-line.  This would still need to be reported to the campus Title IX Coordinator.  The information reported is always documented and put in campus reports in order for the campus to receive any federal funds such as pell grants.

It seems that everyone envolved should hace a code of descrection and silence. The Title coordinator must be trust worthy and anyone else that share the infomation must also uphold giving out personal information about the victim. I strongly belive that if there's a leak within the organization, the campus suffers.

I also thought that it was interesting to know that we must report incidents if we found out about it on facebook or some other media. 

Reply to Sheila Heinert's post:Shelia, can we be transparent and discret at the same time?

Confidentiality is important, but so is respecting someone privacy. Some how it seems like conflict, what do you think?

Reply to Tricia Reichert's post:Tricia, I agree with you. Since you are an online source, it is extremely difficult to do because you can't be transparent when working online. the role of Title IX Coordinator becomes an issue when discussing issues online and protecting sensitive information.

The Title IX coordinator should be available, knowledgeable, accessible and present.

The role of the Title IX coordinator is of utmost importance to be available, knowledgable, accessible and present.  If there are other campuses, the coordinator can appoint a deputy.   I did not realize that as a responsible employee even reading about it on social media, makes it so you should report it.  Good information to know especially with all the social media services and apps that are out there.

The Title IX coordinator has a very important job. Not only are they responsible for being the main point of contact on any Title IX violations but also be the person responsible to coordinate the necessary trainings to all staff and faculty. 

I have become more knowledgeable what the roles and responsibilities of a title IX coordinator.  This information was extremely helpful.

good information 

There was a lot in this module that I found to be very informative. I also did not know that a Responsible Employee is obligated to report incidents that may have been written or even hinted about on a social media site. 

To help gather information on the school climate, I would include questions in the student and employee surveys.

Immediate response is needed when an incident occurs. 

Reply to Robin Wiebe's post:This is a good point. It is still vital to have a title IV coordinator for online programs as they may be subject just as much by verbal harassment, unwanted texts, emails, etc. 

Sign In to comment