Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reply to Sheila Heinert's post:

Sheila,

You said it best.  Managing awareness in an online environment is extremely challenging.  This requires all employees to show sensitivity to our online students.

Training and more visibility are key to making a safer campus.

I also agree this was very informative about the whole process and duties of the title IX and VAWA cordinator.

Institutions are still responsible to conduct an investigation of sexual misconduct even if the victim is not willing to come forward and file a complaint if they have information that misconduct has occurred.  The institution must also assure the person who has been affected by sexual misconduct is provided a safe environment to learn and live in.

Title IX and VAWA/Clery Act need to be made apart of the culture and available to all parties involved at an educational institution. Title IX coordinator and Responsible Employees must effectively execute on the policy and procedures. 

Title IX Coordinator is very important.  If they are unethical, the college could be in a heap of trouble.  It's almost like you need two people to investigate, to keep each other in check.  Also, ALL employees should take this serious and be brave (and ethical) to report.

Including vaguely defined 'notice' by social media is an invitation to abuse, as in the Duke laceosse case.

The Reporting and Response should be Investigated and acted upon immediately to protect all parties involved.

Agree with above comment

I now know what a responsible employee is and the every employee should be one.  I know that just because a student may not file a report with the title IX coordinator does not excuse an institution from investigating an incident if knowledge of the incident becomes known.  It's all about protecting our students, fellow employees, and ourselves from an unsafe environment.  

I agree that the role of Title IX Director on campus is necessary and crucial.  The Me Too movement has revealed to us that sexual harassment, sexual discrimination, and unsafe workspace has been around and has been widespread.  Especially women and members of LGBTQ have been suffering in silence for a long time.  Thus, every university and/ or any educational institution must have extensive resources allocated to the office of Student Affairs and the office of Title IX coordinator.

Information, caring awareness and personal availability are always very important keys to help keep a trustworthy atmosphere for everyone involved.

This section summarizes the Responsible Employee and Coordinator's roles and responsibilities within Title IX. It details reporting procedures and processes to be taken once a notification has been presented.

Every instution should have a designated Title IX coordinator who is responsible for conducting training so that all campus employees and students are aware of their rights. The coordinator should also conduct climate surveys of the campus.  All employees and student should know who they are able to report violations to and what resources are available to them.

This module I was pondering the steps smaller institutions could take to ensure all parties involved are honored with mainting confidentiality. As well as the Title IX Coordinatior not having any conflicts of interest. I see how it can be done but I found it interesting to process. 

Well Done~

Confidentiality is crucial to support the reporting of incidents. 

I learned a lot about the responsibilities of a Title IX Coordinator. One of the most important things is that the Coordinator needs to have an understanding of the psychology of trauma resulting from sexual violence and that even reporting cases can be harmful and triggering for survivors. Going through the offical process of reporting can retraumatize victims and may even deter victims from reporting in the first place.

Having Responsible Employees is very helpful as they are likely a good entry point where a student can feel comfortable discussing a difficult situation.  Sometimes, talking to the Title IX Coordinator can seem intimidating.

When interacting with victims, the Title IX Coordinator must be sensitive not to discourage reporting to either the institution or police; have a basic understanding of the psychology of trauma resulting from sexual violence; and actively assist in preventing any retaliation against students or employees who report an alleged act of sexual harassment or who are involved in a disciplinary proceeding.

Sign In to comment