Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The catalog set a standard that the employee can speak and refer to and also the student will be able to refer to as well. It puts everyone on the same page.

Thanks Travis and to all who have commented on the importance of the school catalog. The catalog is a HUGE resource, a handbook if you will, that reflects on every part of a school's nature.

Jay Hollowell

The catalog contains important disclosures. It can also help employees find the correct information when helping a student and prevent misrepresentation. The catalog contains a lot of the rules for the college and students can refer to it when they have questions regarding those rules. For example, the attendance policy. This also protects the school because the student can't claim that they didn't know the policy.

Catalogs are extremely valuable. They catalog (excuse the pun) the college's programs, rules and regulations at a moment in time. Should a dispute arise between the college and its customers, the catalog is a valuable piece of evidence which can sway heavily in favor of the college. It's a good idea to maintain a file of ALL catalogs with dates used. Should catalog supplements (things that change) be used in conjunction, they must be maintained.

Now that we have our catalog on our web site, we maintain an electronic copy and a hard copy.

Catalogs are the first and foremost reference that should be used by every student and every employee. For the student, it breaks down requirements, course descriptions, and the like. Students can get a feel for the school in more aspects than just class structure. For employees, the catalog is a major learning tool and needs to be referenced often. It helps the employee understand what is required out of the students as well as what the students rights are, such as disability. Even the employees that do not directly interact with the student population, the catalog is a useful tool to understand requirements involved for every student and the basic grounding of the school itself.

Our catalog is extremely important for us and our students. I use our catalog on a daily basis, to clarify several things that students have questions about.

All the schools entrance requirements, policies, courses offered, financial aid,etc i.e. all the information a future student requires to evaluate and make an informed choice in a written format is contained in the catalog. Therefore both student and employee will have identical expectations.

The catalog is the "bible" of academic policies, expectations, requirements, and program information, so it is imperative that employees and students alike read and understand the content. It's the contract, or the rules of the road, so to speak.

For a student, the catalog provides valuable information about the school and its policies and procedures. For an employee, it helps us to refer back and be able to correctly answer questions while staying within the school's guidelines.

The college catalog contains all information a student needs; accrediting information, policies, and program information. The student can refer to the college catalog throughout their program for information.

School catalogs are a resource for students to understand the schools policies and procedures. This holds true for all school staff. when an issue with policies comes about the catalog is where the answers are.

It is a great source of information for both the student and employee. Also after a student has started it is a great reference to answer question.

It contains all the information that needs to presented to the student and have something they can fall back on to revisit if questions present.

As a school employee I use the catalog on a daily basis. It provides me with all clarification I need of school policies. It also gives me the documentation to back up those policies with a student. It is valuable to a student because it gives them a reference of school policies.

Emily,

Thanks, I particularly like your reference to the importance of the catalog to those employees who may not directly interact with students - as you note, the catalog is for everyone!

Jay Hollowell

The catalog is so important because it contain everything one needs to know about the intuition and programs.

The catalog is a wonderful reference tool for employees and students to verify any information they need to have regarding admissions, loans, classes, etc.

Catalog's are very valuable to both Campus and student. Catalog's give accurate information necessary to be successful throughout the students education

We have been talking about being honest and transparent and with the use of the college catalog and handbooks gives both the student and school employee that opportunity. As in nursing the saying "if it isn't written, it wasn't done" would also hold true in this regard. The rules and guidelines are open and available to everyone.

Thanks Jodi,

To your point, documentation is key to transparency, thanks!

Jay Hollowell

Sign In to comment