Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The very most important concept in making a comparison between our college and our competitors is to be honest, truthful and accurate in all information. Statistics about graduation rates, board passing rates and employment rates must be clearly delineated and accurate to the reporting period. No information should be misrepresented or embellished. Students should be aware of the institutions mission and program mission and goals. Students should be made aware of the caliber of instructors the types of facility and equipment and the resources available to enhance learning and educational success.

Stick to what we know about our own institution and state the facts clearly. Provide the student with a catalog and emphasize the positives regarding our own institution.

Robert - I like your commitment to such open and honest transparency!

Excellent suggestion about sharing information on staff and faculty. Factual references to their backgrounds can be a motivator for students to select your institution.

The best response for this student is to provide information strictly on our own institution and what is provided. The information must also be factual and accurate. By refraining from comparing the competitor to our own institution, we can alleviate misrepresentation of our competitor.

I would respond by stating "well I can't speak for the other schools however these are some of the great things that our school has to offer."

I have actually been asked that fairly often. I always answer that I am not familiar with what other schools are like but that I do know that Concorde is a wonderful school and that they will get a top rate education if they attend here.
I think it as if I am on an interview. If my interviewer asks me about my previous employment and what I liked and didn't like about it. You would ALWAYS answer with a positive answer, putting down a previous employer is never a good idea. Instead of making me look good, it actually makes me look bad.
It is the same situation here. If I mention anything negative about another school, with the intention of making us look good by comparison. It will end up doing the opposite, making my school look negative and overly competitive.

The employees make the company, and if we at Concorde ever say something negative about another organization (no matter how small) will make a bit impact on our image in the community and with our student body.

Erin - great comparison to handling a question as you would when asked about a prior employer. Such professionalism should benefit your institution.

I'm asked that question by perspective students, I tell them that I'm not fimiliar with their programs, but I would encourage them to do their homework and compare apples to apples. My main concern is to give the student all the information they will need to make informed decision and find out program what will work best for them and their educational goals.

Not suprisingly this is a frequent question for our program.

We state that all programs for our occupation must have the same accreditation from our occupational accrediting agency and we give them the website to the accrediting agency to research for themselves regarding the accreditation status of all the programs. We then discuss since all the programs must meet the same criteria; then the student then needs to do independent research to find the best fit for them from the accredited programs. We assure them we are here to help them succeed and after some independent research hopefully are program will be the one that best fits them.

The best course of action is to talk about what we know, which is our institution. I don't know about other schools or how their students perform.

My understanding is you don't talk about other schools, but simply describe what your school may offer.

A good way to respond is to encourage the student to do their own research on other institutions ,which will allow them to make a more informed and educated decision based on his/her own research without any bias. I think doing this lends more credibility to the institution.

I have been asked this question as well, and responded in the same manner. I am not sure about what other schools have to offer or I am not able to compare our schools to other school. But I can tell you abour our school and what we can provide as an education.

Take the opportunity at that time to talk about your programs and information. It is up to the student to do the research and make the right decisions.

A Rep should simply state that they are not familiar with the programs offered at other institutions. They are tasked with providing detailed information about Concorde.

A good way to respond is to state that we are not familiar with other institutions programs, policies, etc., but we can provide answers to any questions they may have about our institution.

I would tell the student that I am not familiar with programs at other schools and that I could only tell them what our school has to offer.

I think my answer compares to everyone elses answer in the you should not compare something you are not familiar with. Why would an employee be familiar with another instutions credintials. Speaking highly of the place where you work is always an uplifting thing for students who are obviously unsure of things. Reassure them that they made the right choice by coming here to get their education.

I would state that that I can only speak about what I know and I know Concorde. Concorde has been around along time and has history in this community. Also, I am a graduate of Concorde and I have been very successful in my field.

Sign In to comment