Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

that would be information that the prospective student would have to gather and assess

I simply state that I am not familiar with the programs offered at other institutions. I provide detailed information about our institution, program, etc., and I encourage students to explore all options available, so that they can gather all of the information necessary to make an informed decision.

I would inform them that I would be more than happy to discuss information regarding our school.

The key is to provide information only about your institution. Never provide information or your opinions about another institution. I feel it is important to encourage the student to "do their homework" to investigate ALL schools they are considering so that they can make the best choice, and ultimately be the most committed student possible once their choice is made.

We can not offer statements about other institutions. We can tell them what our institute has to offer.

I tell students that it is good to make comparisons so that they can be confident in their decisions. It is; however, up to them to make contact and ask questions of the other schools first hand. If there are paricular questions they asked me that seemed important to them I'll remind them of the question(s) and its implied importance and suggest that they get clarity from the other school as well. I tell them that they own thier education and need to be satisfied with the answer(s) they recieve.

Thanks for your thorough response, Sean. Your diligence is a good way to make students responsible for gathering the information needed to make sound decisions.

Mark - great and thorough response. I agree that encouraging students to research options first should drive a more committed student wherever they end up enrolling. That is a great example of the "win-win" that occurs when schools demonstrate integrity and compliance in their approach.

I can only honestly state what happens at the school where I am currently employed. Even if I was previously employed at a competitor's school, I would not specify the actions that go on there. Not only because it may (or may not) come across as negative, but I would no longer be employed there and things may have changed.

I would recommend that the prospective student perform his or her own research regarding the available educational programs for a particular course of study. If asked about other institutions, I would speak to my institution only and direct the prospective student to complete his or her own research about other institutions offering the same program of study.

I would encourage the student to conduct his or her own research on programs offered at other institutions. I am happy to answer any questions that I am able to about our institution and programs offered here.

Good point, Dimitria. It is challenging enough to stay on top of one's own institution, let alone trying to know details about competitors.

Offer to share information on our school and its programs only, encourage them to do their research so they can make an well informed decision.

i tell students that i can inform them about what we offer, and the best way for me to get them information about what we offer is to come visit and see it first hand.

Encourage the perspective to do their own research and offer no opinions about another institution

You can encourage students to do their own research in regards to other institutions. Researching other institutions will give students information to make informed decisions about their schooling. We can field any questions regarding our own institution.

I can only speak upon what I know which is what goes on at my own institution. I would encourage them to explore all their options and make the decision that is best for them.

I've had numerous requests about comparing institutions as far as transfering credits are concerned.

I simply explain to each student the process of accepting transfer credits. As we learned, it is at the discretion of the receiving institution to evaluate and accept transfer credits.

Once students understand the process, there is less confusion for all parties involved.

Amanda - thanks for referencing the importance of handling inquiries about transfer credit. In today's education environment, many students are attending multiple institutions during their educational lifecycle. As you noted, questions are likely to arise on this important topic.

Encourage the prospective student to make their own comparison by thoroughly researching their options. Restate the advanatages of enrollment in your school by clearly describing school and program features.

Sign In to comment