Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Michael - I agree with your response - and the part about directing them to others when you cannot answer the question is important. I think today's society wants to know everything before they commit.

Do not engage in comparative discussions but focus on the compliant messages you can deliver on your institution. Prospective students are looking to gather objective information so that a choice can be made. Spend the time on the benefits of your institution and program and not denegrating others.

Great advice, Timothy.

Thanks for your feedback - I agree that the more transparency the better, particularly when it comes to senstive topics such as transferability of credit.

Let them know that we are not able to discuss other programs, However we can tell them about our program.

we TALK ABOUT THE BENIFITS OF OUR SCHOOLWHAT AOUR SCHOOL HAS TO OFFER. WE FOCUS ON OUR SCHOOLS ATTIBUTES. wE DO NOT COMPAR EOUR SCHOOLS TO OTHERS. wE PROVIDE THE STUDENT WITH INFORMATION ABOUT OUR SCHOOL ONLY. THEY DECIDE. WE STAY AWAY FROM TAKING ABOUT THE OTHER SCHOOLS

I am a program director, however if a student did have questions about another approach I would use a similar approach that was mentioned by Sean. I would encourage the student research, compare and contrast institutionts and make certain that they are happy with their choice. That way the have a buy in to their learning.

I guess it depends directly what the question is they are asking. since I don't know exactly how the other schools are in my immediate area, I am honest and tell them I do not know the answer, if they are specific questions and I know where to find the answer, then I will refer them too the proper website i.e. Board of Nursing, or I direct them back to the Admissions Rep.

I would say the same thing. We do not know enough about the other institutions to answer that question and it is best if the student does the research for themselves.

I ususally show them the pass rates for state licensing

Providing students with detailed explanations of how the program shall prepare them for a competetive edge over other students from other schools usually will make the prospective student realize that you are the better institution without the need for providing opinions about other schools.

Advise the student that this is an admirable question. Then refocus the student back to the benefits and strengths of our programs and invite them to engage in a thorough comparison in order to determine which educational choice will be optimal for his/her goals. It is paramount that all attempts made by the student to solicit a direct comparison are met with redirecting the student to investigate for him/herself which institution will be best suited for him/her after s/he has done a complete side-by-side analysis.

Even though there is a competing program directly accross the street from our campus, I can only respond to the content and quality of our program. I give information relating to the course content and expectations to achieve a successful completion of the program. I also indentify additional staff and adjunct faculty and their backgrounds so that the potential student can make an informed decision regarding which program to choose.

Students frequently ask about our competitors, either because they have been trying to determine the best fit, or because they are attending/have attended another school where their experience has not been what they had expected.

Rather than comparing schools, we should focus solely on the benefits that attending our school offers.

By giving information specific to your institution and letting the student draw the comparisons or differences.

At this time there are no other private career colleges in the area offering the same program so I have not had to speak to other programs in the private sector. However, I have been asked to compare our program to community colleges that have a similar program. My response is kept to the specifics of our program and then to encourage them to explore the other options and then make their decision based on their own personal preferences.

Encourage the student to shop the other schools. Ask the student what they will be looking for as they are shopping, and then discuss what your school has to offer in those areas. Encourage them to then do their research and find out which institution is the best fit.

Simply relate to the other school's accreditation status. Do not compare the "quality" of the competition with the "quality" of your program. Do not make comparative evaluations.

Although we do not have information on other schools or the way they may operate their school researching other schools yourself would be solely your decision.

I don't compare institutions. I simply tell them what we have to offer as a school. If they want more information regarding other schools they will have to do their own research.

Sign In to comment