Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This module, so far, was a stern affirmation of what our district is already doing and what our CTE director and administration is already asking us to do. Alot of the material here in this module are things we have been implementing over the last few years. It reinforced and encouraged me to keep doing the things we already have in place and to continue refining our practices. 

SMART Learning Goals can be used by CTE Teachers to ensure that the content that they want to cover in a day/week/month/quarter/semester makes sense and is accomplishable. 

Having a plan,map and scope to maximize the teaching process and make sure that the students are able to master the skills.

Having a lesson planned helps the class stay on task. The days that I have not had a clear lesson planned out were the days that I was easily off-topic and the day/project did not feel put together. 

mapping out the learning is good teaching and learning! Both for teacher and student!

I've had the benefit of judging regional CTSO competitions, and it was a great experience. I'm glad to know students are involved and invested in their careers, even in high school. I just finished my second year as a CTE post-secondary instructor, and I wish I had the "pace yourself" advice when I first started. My lectures were so note-heavy and text laden, but after consulting my colleagues, I was able to make my lectures more engaging with a flipped classroom model. I still need to tone down the information on my slides, but I'm getting there!

Lesson planning and curriculum mapping must be processes, they need to be changed and adapted as we observe how students engage with each lesson/unit.

Our planning document allows for the flexibility to review previous material that was relevant. As for CTSO's I foster the inclusion of area certifications through Culinary Arts Federation. 

I've learned the value of a flipped classroom and the importance of creating a course map and pacing guide. To avoid confusion agmonst students, share this pacing guide and learning objectives week 1!

Curriculum planning should start with a step by step process and will be used to keep on pace with your teaching through out the year. I will start using this along with (MLOs) and incorporate even more planning.

I love the "I Do, We Do, You Do" approach. Pairing that with a "Need to Know, Nice to Know, Nuts to Know" division of resources would be really helpful for students, especially those who really seek out enrichment or love going above and beyond in class. 

I would love to use the fipped classroom approach in my public speaking courses. My concern is that the students will not access the learning materials online and do the "before" work which would not be good for the activities in the class. I'd love to find some ways to reduce that risk.

I am excited about the idea of a curriculum map for my advisory committee.

Begin with the End in Mind means to begin each day, task, or project with a clear vision of your desired direction and destination. I am going to work with each student to find out their end goals and make sure that we are both working on them.

Curriculum maps and planning gives the students a clear understanding as to what is expected

I found the CTSOs interesting.  The curriculum mapping will be the most helpful tool in my course development and planning that was discussed in this section.

I liked the additional resources that this lesson included. I will also be using the SMART format in the future. 

Curriculum Mapping can take varies forms depending on the course being taught and what types of learning activities are needed.  When planning out my curriculum mapping, I need to look at the samples given, choose one that best fits the course and my teaching method, then make it my own.  

I can use what I have now in blackboard and write it down in a curriculm mapping format.  From there I can look at it on paper and determine ways to make the insturctional methods better.  Also, it should reviewed regularly to make changes based on what is working, what is not and to integrate new information.

Plannin is a ongoing process. Always try to find ways to imporve the carriculum, we want to insure student get the most "bang for thier buck"

Curriculum map templates and lesson plan templates can seem incredibly tedious to new teachers, however the practice of including all of the components of a successful lesson (or curriculum map) is beneficial in many ways. While I would never take the time to write out a lesson plan with that level of detail at this point in my career, I know that I do include those basic elements in each lesson as it has become a habit for me (and I know it's an effective way to engage students!). 

Sign In to comment