Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think the most important skill are communication and motivation. By communicating properly you team will know your goals and by motivating your team it will help ensure your goals are reached.

Karen,
and it is through communicating the vision that we can truly inspire them & rally them to the cause.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think one of the most important skills you need to supervise others is communication. A good leader is able to communicate what they want affectively. When I have a project for my staff, I ensure that everyone understands the tasks. I try to include everyones opinions and thoughts so that the group has buyin.

Open door policy is something I encourage always.

Edward,
excellent point. Communication is the key to effective supervision & leadership & we need to remember that there is much more to communication than just my talking.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Vision, respect, and emotional intelligence. Each staff member and prject has specific attributes and needs to be addressed accordingly.

Carl,
these are all great skills & definitely vital for the 21st century leader. That individual attention is key.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Understanding each employee's strengths and finding ways to connect them to the company's vision and goals.

Respect for the individual and being sincere is key.

Dan,
this is a great skill & helps us as the leader to develop each of our employees to the fullest.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I believe the most important skills a manager could have would be respecting others and their ideas, listening to others, having an open door policy so that employees always know they can come in to discuss anything with no reprocussions.

I agree that you can't have best friends but I do believe that you be friends with direct reports. You just have to assert yourself as the leader and remain in charge.

Karen,
yes, so much of communication is listening, really listening & we often overlook this as a valuable leadership skill.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Karen,
well put. Too many in leadership think they can't be friendly, rather than understanding that I shouldn't be showing favoritism among my direct reports.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think is it very important and imperative to lead by example. Do not ask of others what you are not willing to do yourself. Create a winning team environment with consistent and constant montivation. Encourage brainstorming and ideas from everyone on the team. Listen to your employees, do not act as if you know it all.

Listen to their concerns, worries, and comprehend what really motivates the team. Listening is one part of the process.

Mayra,
you are so right that listening is one of the most important supervisory skills. By truly listening we can identify how best to help our employees & motivate them.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Mayra,
you are so right that listening is one of the most important supervisory skills. By truly listening we can identify how best to help our employees & motivate them.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

i think it's best to lead by example and don't ever be afraid to jump in and get your hands duirty with the workload. My supersivor is very hands on, I respect that about him. he knows the business operation and challenges that we face in a day to day activities.

Debra,
I agree that we, as leaders, need to be ready to help out. I also feel that leaders need to make sure that they are adequately delegating the work that should be done by others & that they are focusing on the leadership/management functions they need to.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment