Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

From my experience as an organization leader I would say it is treating everyone in my organization with respect, both when I am with them and when I am not, and this includes whether they are doing so regarding me or not. I have noticed that as as soon as I loose my alignment with this positive intention, the energy of the group starts to disintegrate and the higher quality of group relationships starts to unravel. Gossip, sub-grouping, and a lack of trust and safety.

Yes, there is a "trickle down" effect in organizations. Each leader or supervisor greatly influences how their "reports" lead or manage. And also customers often receive the overflow from either good or poor internal relationships and treatment.

yes, consistency and also the willingness to be flexible when needed.

I would also like to add taking the time to informally talk to staff. Being available in the hall or in the elevator has not in my experience taken much actual time, but by giving my attention fully for a minute or two, folks feel heard, and I get a sense of the overall temperature or issues of the group.

Priscilla,
thank you for the great reminder of how important it is for us to maintain a higher standard for ourselves as leaders, regardless of who we are with.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Priscilla,
yes, yes, yes! Too often we think that "being there" for our reports takes a huge amount of time, when in reality it does not. Also, this is one of the most important & effective uses of our time. My job, as a leader, is to lead my staff. I pay them to do their jobs, not do them for them.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Respect for employees is crucial

Positive reinforcement is also important

The skills essential for supervising others are a combination of Emotional Intelligence, confident, self-determined, and the ability to lead others.
Communication skills are indispensable for supervising others. It is vital to be able to communicate with a diverse work force. One can have the greatest vision, mission, or have strong technical knowledge. However, without the ability to communicate, either in the written form or face to face, it would be hard to supervise others.
Interpersonal skills, the ability to relate to people and easily create rapport, contribute to direct reports desire to interact with their supervisor. Interpersonal skills can help motivate employees to do a better job because employees can relate to their supervisor. Employees believe that their supervisor is more concerned about them, with their performance, and with their output.
An additional skill is the ability to always maintain ones integrity. A person of integrity is the same on the outside and on the inside. An individual with integrity can be trusted because he/she never deviates from values. A good supervisor must have the trust of followers and therefore must exhibit integrity. A supervisor who has integrity is more approachable.
An attitude that “I can achieve anything, and nothing is impossible” builds an image of success. When direct reports see that their boss can lead and direct, establishes attainable goals, and obtains results, then that supervisor demonstrates reliability.
The ability to knows one areas of weakness, and assemble an effective teams of experienced, and capable individuals who can supplement any voids the supervisor may have. Team building skills are essential for any supervisor to succeed. A supervisor is only as good as his/her team. After all a supervisor cannot do everything by themselves.

this is very important it reinforces the staff that you care.

Rich,
true, I need to respect them for the professionals that they are.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Rich,
true, I need to respect them for the professionals that they are.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

The way I view leadership, an effective leader must have so many skills, qualities, and competencies that it's difficult to say which is/are the most important; it all depends on the circumstances at hand. However, I do feel that communications and mutual respect rank very high on the list. If one cannot communicate effectively and, at the same time, create an atmosphere of open, non-threatening communication channels, he/she will find the leadership role very difficult, if not impossible. Also, we must treat each individual with the same respect with which we expect others to treat us.

James,
I agree with you. And in my mind, the word "communication" encompasses so much of what is needed for an effective leader.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

If I are considering career advancement, it is important for me to learn how to develop supervisory skills. Get prepared to accept additional responsibilities and relish the opportunity to grow professionally. Basic supervisory skills include good communication, consistency, motivation of employees and time management.

Jorge,
you are so right in your comment regarding the need to start preparing now for future roles.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree with this, it's important not to micro manage every move or task your team members are working on. I would assign the tasks to the team members and let them work on it, if they have questions along the way, I would be there to help, and we would meet together at the end to review the project to ensure it's completed to our satisfaction.

Debbie,
this is a great strategy to help with accountability while not micro-maanging.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

The communication in my opinion is the most important skill that a supervisor requires. He needs to transmit information and instructions in a clear and effective manner to people who may not understand due to cultural or educational differences. Ensuring that the person you are talking to fully understands what you are saying is a vital skill.

Nydia,
yes and being effective at the listening portion of communication is another necessity for a leader.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment