Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Showing support to faculty and staff on all projects. Try to simulate those mentors before you and work closely with them and staff.

Paul,
and the support really can come in so many ways & we need to be aware of how to encourage them.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I find that being aware of the details can make a difference in succeding and failing. I have always tried to look at all stakeholders point of view, so that my solutions can be comprehensive. Being aware and realistic of the environment, is crucial for success.

German,
you are right as ultimately I am the one accountable for the details.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I totally agree with this. It is very important to lead by example and encourage everyone to participate in bringing their ideas to the table.

Barbara,

and I've found a key part of this is being willing to listen to those ideas when they are offered.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

You should 1.Devise or set a goal 2. Discuss the goal amongst your employees.(Get them to see the same vision you see.) and 3. Get your employees to contribute to the goal or give ideas based on the goal. (This helps employees feel as if they are important and crucial to this goal being achieved.) 4. Based on the feedback given, devise a plan to help each employee be motivated in achieving the goal.

CARIDAD ,
yes, the vision casting & then the shared aspects of the goals you mentioned are a great way to get everyone on board.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I believe leading by example is one of the most important skill a good manager can bring to us office there are many things that he/she will must encompass to be a great manager.
Teamwork is another key element to the success of the your team.
Compassion is a key element a good manager should should have at times we need to listen to our personnel and assist them to improve or to advise.
I also believe gratitude is excellent way to motivate your team to continue to improve and for your team to take initiative in the absence directions.
The bottom line is that at times we are not going to make all of our members happy with our decisions but as long as we're doing the right thing for the right reasons we will become the leaders and examples for all to follow.

Ralph,
I agree that the aspect of compassion is a key skill. What we want to make sure as leaders/managers is that we accomplish the job as well as treating everyone as people.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think that with any career that you do, the best way to supervise your team is by know what you are talking about. I ran a medical clinic for 10+years. During this time, I alway showed my troops exactly what they needed to do because I have done first. I am not afraid to jump in with them. This let them know that if they had any problems they knew we as a team could solve it. It was also afermating to them that when I stated I trusted their judgment everone knew that it was a sound plan. This alowed me to back off and let them take the lead.

Some of the factors that I have come across with being a manager is that you have to get to know your team and they need to get to know you. Not necessarily on a personal level but they need to know what you managerial style is and what your goals and expectations are for the team and the company. You also will need to know each of their abilities and how to foster those abilities to get the performance that you are looking for. I like to look at resumes when I take over a team. This allows me to learn what their background is and where their special skills are at. I then like to have a one on one with them and find out what their goals and ambitions are for their career path. I will also let them know where I stand and what my goals and ambitions are as well. I feel by having a one on one, it sets the tone that they can come to me for anything later on down the line.

Patrick,

and I would say the key idea here is making sure that you do back off & let them take the lead as too often they can come to rely too heavily on the supervisor.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree with this advice. I always lead up example. secondly, i always follow through with what is asked of me. Last, if i dont know the answer to a question, i find the answer.

The ability to show competency - lead by example

The ability to individually motivate your team members.

The ability to use various management styles to accomplish your goal.

Michael,
these are all key skills for any supervisor/administrator to have.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

As I read this question I think of the word supervisor and cringe. Manager and Leader are such open words. "Super"visor sounds so authoritative and unapproachable. As a manager or leader you are part of a team. Beavers work together in a managerial style while building dams. Each one is just as important as the other. There is a leader, but he/she is in the trenches with his team. Geese have a leader, who guides them to their destination. Sometimes that leader may need to manage and delegates their roll, but returns when he/she has completed their task. I think the most benefical tool a manager/leader can have is adaptation. Adapting to which roll is needed when. Sometimes, people think of supervisors as someone who is "watching" them, like a lion waiting to pounce.

Kathryn,
yes, unfortunately the term has fallen in with bad company (as has manager for many) but your assessment of the need for adaptability & flexibility on the part of the leader is key.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I believe that if you are a good effective communicator that respect, compassion, and knowledge of the job will show through. I think employees feel comfortable with a manager that they feel has their back.

Shelly,
good communication really is key to effective leadership.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment