Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Having company goals aligned and promoting a positive attitude is important

One very important skill is to motivate your crew and keep moral at a comfortable level. Moral is very important for success!

This is an important skill. I would add to this that it's important to keep the mission in the minds of all team members. How do you go about doing this?
Ryan

Yes and combining all three of these is very powerful. Good selection of a skill set.
Ryan

Great points Christine. Knowing motivational techniques is very important, especially when they are balanced with strong interpersonal skills so team members do not feel manipulated.
Ryan

So true & demonstrating that selflessness generally leads to selflessness by your team.
Ryan

I think the biggest way is to remind team members that we are here for the students and that their success is our main goal.

You are right these are important skills. How do you accomplish this with your team?
Ryan

I would assign certain task to team members and before the deadline the whole team would collaborate as a one group to assure a complete and finished project.

Yes, the ability to motivate & keep the morale up is a key skill for supervisors.
Ryan

That is a great thing to remind team members of & the more we as supervisors can demonstrate that we are here for our team members the more they are willing to be there for the students.
Ryan

Great idea, how do you maintain accountability throughout the process for all team members so they are ready to collaborate at the end?
Ryan

That is a great question.
I feel the most important trait a manager/supervisor can have is to be a great listener. If you are able to listen to the problems or solutions of the people around you they will be easier to coach and to motivate to complete the task at hand.

Great comment Marc. Too often, when we are supervisors, we fall into the trap that I have to have all of the answers. Instead, as you observe, we need to spend much more time listening.
Ryan

There are many skills needed to be able to supervise others. The most important ones to me would be Written and verbal Communication, Interpersonal and Motivational skills and at the same time be supportive, a good listener and make recommendations.

I agree, I don't think communication & interpersonal skills can be overrated.
Ryan

To me the most important skills that a manager should have are good communication and organizational skills. Also, a manager needs to know how to inspire and motivate the employees to be able to accomplish the company’s goals.

Having a vision that people buy into provides the ideal setting for achieving long range goals. Better yet would be a vision that is not only shared by the team but also developed by the team.

Yes anytime you can create a shared vision that the whole team contributed to that is ideal. The next best thing is to gather a great deal of input & reflect that input in your vision statement. Then carefully take that vision statement to the team & ensure that they are all on board with it.
Ryan

The most important skill is the ablity to be slow to anger. Rash decisions can be dangerous or foolish, both of which are not quailities of good management. Considering ramifications and capabilities of team with expectations of results having been thought through are vital for best action.

Sign In to comment