Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

So true involment of all is important so many times only one or two members of a group are involved this is something I can do better with.

Angie,
I agree with you. And I would add that in the way you approach the situation (if you are new or established) helps to gain credibility.

Dr. Ryan Meers

It may sound corny but I have always admired and utilized the words of Shakespeare's Henry V play, particularly St. Crispin's Day Speech.
It embodies ownership; an absolute commitment to promote success but also takes responsibilities for the misses. I believe this philosophy becomes addictive and spreads within the team; they want to be successful' they want to be proud of achievements and are absolutely willing to commit and support the team as a whole.
Members of the team, become supervisors of each other; challenges are dealt with at their level when suitable. With that being said, there is an understanding that I am open to assist and work to the benefit of the team.

The most important skills needed are perhaps mental skills. The ability to think fast, adjust quickly, use reason, be calm, and continually improve are needed at all times. Important qualities are basic; integrity, courage, ability to have fun, adaptability, trustworthy, wise, and innovative. Compentencies are in line with qualities. The gauge is how good the individual is in each of the aforementioned qualities.

I feel the most important piece to supervising others is being genuine or real. You staff must trust and believe in you. You can say and do the right thing, but most employees will see right through you, if you are not being genuine.

Dennis,
yes, these conceptual skills are in great demand for those in leadership.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Some of the more import skills and competencies for me would have to be, vision and direction. Employees need goals and guidance. I believe that it instills trust and often raises motivation.

For me, as a new manager at a Career College, but with over 15 years of experience, some important qualities are listening effectively, communicating clearly and concisely and setting attainable but focused goals for myself and my team. I really try hard to motivate them daily with challenges and rewards, and get them to "buy in" to my philosophies with my upbeat energy and positivity.

Morgan,
I like what you said, especially about listening. Nothing can replace a leader who listens carefully & effectively.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I accepted my management position a little over six months ago. I believe that for me, active listening has been very important. I oversee both students and employees in my current posistion. By listening, I learned that previous management had lacked structure, boundaries, and the ability to set clear expectations. Active listening has enable me to make the necesary changes in order to have a better working environment for my students and employees!

It is imperative that a positive attitude is utilized to set the tone for all employees' and students. A manager must utilize a positive attitude to communicate with all staff members and students. The ability to listen without interrupting is important for all managers. Knowledge of the educational competencies is very helpful to all people who look to you for guidance and leadership. Everyone likes positive recognition and this should not be overlooked when you are in a position of authority or responsibility. Keeping an "open door policy" whenever possible will encourage staff and students to share their concerns or ideas with you. Respect the people that look to you for guidance, both students and staff. Encourage an open sharing of ideas and possible revisions or changes in the curriculum.

shannon,
this is a great story! I completely agree that the active listening is key & let me applaud you on being willing to ask the questions in the first place, too many are not willing to do even this.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Before even getting into a leadership role I think it is important for the individual to be motived, have a true passion for their profession, and positive attitude! They need to be able to maintain that positive attitude and professionalism when the going gets tough. Once in the role they need to be properly trained and be given the adequate time and resources before thrown into the position. If they have this and a good support system of colleagues this will help them be more successful.

I completely agree with Determination and Humor... you must be able to show your staff that you can remained focused regardless of the circumstance and at the same time, be able to break the ice with humor when needed.

Beth,
these are great skills for any supervisor to have & I would add to the enthusiasm that it's also an enthusiasm for leading others.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Matt,
yes & a big part of the humor is being able to laugh at yourself!

Dr. Ryan Meers

I think it depends on the job. I feel that every job has its owns skills that are require. The biggest thing is a person must feel for the job. Today many people see the dollar signs and that is it. The person's heart will win over any crowd. In today world we are teaching students to be able to work together aas a team and a manager must do that also.

Ronald,
yes, there are some job specific skills. I would say that a supervisor should know the job that his/her reports are doing, but make sure that he/she is not doing it for them but needs to focus on leading.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Being place in that enviorment, can be on either side of the fence.You will have people that don't like change and other side will be saying a new face. I think you have to go in like a lion and come out as lamb. The position requires you to be in charge. You can't have any friends. This is the hardest when they promate with a section or school.

Ronald,
I agree that as the leader you cannot have "best friends" as your direct reports and I do think you need to be friendly to your direct reports.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Sign In to comment