Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

as a manager, the skills or qualities required are to stay positive, calm under pressure, maintaining control, reaffirm yourself as well as employees-recognizing a job well done

Maggie,
these are all great qualities; I especially like staying calm under pressure. This has proven true many times for me.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think it's very important to not only be postitive but to lead by example as well. If we say or expect one thing, but we ourselves do the oposite, it can lead to many problems within the department. Communication is also key. We must communicate with our team and expect the same in return.

Melissa,
yes, communication is an invaluable aspect. And we need to be careful that it's not just quantity of communication, but quality as well & listening is part of communication.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

All supervisory skills are important. A supervisor must be trustworthy, transparent, a good listener, available, honest, hardworker etc. This list can go on and on but as a supervisor, you must be establish a good rapport with your staff. You must be approachable and know how to handle conflicts. A supervisor must me the first example of how a good employee should behave in a work envirnoment.

Michelle,
you are right that a supervisor must be primarily focused on building those relationships with those he/she leads.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I believe the important skill is to lead by example.
My mentor whom I try to mirror everyday always lead by example. No matter how small the task, he always supported us by answering our questions and sometimes helping us achieve the task.
His actions motivated all of us to work hard and enjoy the task at hand. I also try to remind my staff to "enjoy" the day. We are fortunate to work with students on a daily process. We are a part of their success.

Debbie,
yes, leading by example is key & this really ties into the classroom as well. I should be modeling a professional & a life-long learner for my students.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

While it is important for a manager to have technical expertise and be willing to roll up sleeves, a leader must demonstrate integrity, passion, credibility and compassion through strong communication skills to motivate staff and build trust.

Frederick,

this is so true & the leader also needs to know when to help in the trenches & when to step out.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree being available is very important. I find it is difficult for me to be available to my team when they are in seven locations across four time zones. Getting to really know my team when the majority of interaction with them is through e-mail and a once weekly WebEx has really pushed my abilities in leadership. I realize I need to focus even more under these circumstances.

L.,

this is a great illustration of one of the major problems facing managers today: the virtual team. Have you spent any time going to their different locations to get to know them in a face to face setting?

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Yes, I have. I have been to the locations on several visits. The first was to roll out a new student data management system. This had been a three year goal which had not been achieved. I was tasked with completing it in 30 days. This was very stressful for the staff.

My next visit was an internal audit to prepare for our annual SFA compliance audit. I was not received well for this visit, either. The next round was during the actual independent SFA compliance audit, so this was very stressful for the staff, too.

I am now returning to each campus for a solid two weeks to work with them on areas of concern and to built trust and the relationships.

It has been very difficult to say the least.

L.,
sounds like it. I applaud the decision to now go & visit to build the trust & relationships since the other visits were during such stressful times.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree with the majority of responses and would add one other that may, at first blush, sound a bit corny. It is "treating people the way that you would like/expect to be treated." I have found this to be a successful (and guiding) principle in getting buy in from my team(s).

jeff,
I think this is a great addition. We all want to feel respected & valued & we need to pass this on to our team members.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I believe that knowing your staff and delegating tasks based on their individual strengths and weaknesses is a valuable skills for an manager.

i believe that one of the most important supervisory skills is simply compassion. People want to feel cared about, no matter what role they have in the company. I show that if even something as simple as the garbage needing to be emptied, needs doing, that I do it. i am not above any job, and I am at an executive level. If I ask someone else to do something, I should be able to do that as well. My attitude is contagious, more contagious than anyone else. I must have a positive attitude at all times.

Hope,
and as you point out, the key is to truly know your staff so you can properly delegate.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

kathy,
this is a great point & too often we associate compassion with being a push-over. This is not true, but rather shows our concern.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment