Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

While visiting the Eisenhower Presidential Center I noted the President's definition of leadership posted over the door: "Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do what you want done because he wants to do it." I believe that he incorporated both the leader's understanding and ownership of his own vision and a respect for the values and desires of the staff member. This seems to be an important balance for leadership.

Thomas,
I would agree. This allows the leader to influence & see the potential in others, but ensures that the follower is moving forward of their own accord.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think that the most important supervisory skills a manager should have is respect for the others. A true leader is able to recognize his teamwork professional skills and learn from them. I believe that when the team share knowledge everybody feels part of it and it may be really difficult to loose motivation.

Octavia,
I agree that as the leader I need to show this great respect for others for those whom I am leading.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think one that is over looked quite often is availability. So many times managers are not willing to be available at the time when the team member needs to ask a question or solve a problem. Team members need to know that if they need there supervisor it is ok to go approach them.

Another thing I think is important is fostering a spirit of team.

Pamela,
I agree with you that availability is huge. And when the manager is generally available, the team is more forgiving of those rare times when the door needs to be closed or he/she is absent.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I feel that the most important Supervisory Skill to have is positive reinforcement. When a team is negative, then no one will achieve. With a positive environment everyone is able to produce and motivate each other.

I am a new director in a school that was just purchased. We have had many staff and administrative changes. The staff is constantly nervous and unsure of the company direction. We have administration that have no knowledge or background in our school or the industries we teach.

My biggest challenge is to enforce our mission. Reminding our staff what we are here to do. I have found that getting others to buy into the mission, is what makes it work. When decisions are made, that they do not agree with, we always refer back to our mission. Our mission includes our students, and that is what we are here for. Once our staff redirects to our mission, work gets accomplished and we are then able to focus on our vision.

I am a new director in a school that was just purchased. We have had many staff and administrative changes. The staff is constantly nervous and unsure of the company direction. We have administration that have no knowledge or background in our school or the industries we teach.

My biggest challenge is to enforce our mission. Reminding our staff what we are here to do. I have found that getting others to buy into the mission, is what makes it work. When decisions are made, that they do not agree with, we always refer back to our mission. Our mission includes our students, and that is what we are here for. Once our staff redirects to our mission, work gets accomplished and we are then able to focus on our vision.

I believe that being a good listener is one of the most important skills needed to supervise others. Showing an active interest in what employees have to say by listening and giving employee ideas consideration is key to creating a positive and production work environment.

Laura,
and when we actually listen & demonstrate we care, we build trust with our employees.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

One of mentors while I was in the Air Force taught me a vital lesson in management that I implemented as part of my management strategies, and it has worked for me ever since "Lead from the front". In nutshell, when your team notice you are vested they will follow you unconditionally.

Shane,
yes, we must demonstrate that we are not above any of the work & that we will work just as hard as the others.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think that's it's important for new managers to really to get know their employee's. In this course it touches on how to motivate employee's who are not engaged. I think it's important to take that furthers and find out how they like to receive feedback? What approach do I use to give constructive feedback, what are their stressors?
I think sometimes managers can overlook these small areas and sometimes treat or communicate with everyone the same way, when in fact if they took more time getting to know their team, their work performance/results would be better.

Coreen,
this is an excellent point & I completely agree that one of the keys to effective leadership is the individual consideration of each employee.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think being able to align your vision with that of the organization while motivating and inspiring your employees to "join with you" as you move forward.

Lynn,
this is a powerful tool that will help your employees to be able to connect their work with the overall mission of the organization.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

As a senior (over 50) military leader maintaining a high level of physical conditioning has been an excellent motivational and supervisory skill. I lead by example and lead the pack. Its not you go out and do it, its I go do it and you try to keep up. To our young men of America that is one of the greatest skills I can pass on.

To be an active listener, ask your employees for feedback and to be a part of major department decisions. Empower your employees to fulfill their job responsibilities and to assist you in obtaining the department's missions and goals. An effective supervisor will face, instead of running from conflict. Lastly, the supervisor must be fair and consistent.

Gaylene,
yes, taking feedback is important & be sure to receive it well when you ask for it.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment