Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Devise a process to assure you are helping people. Help people to see what the goal is, set a direction, and motivate them to aquire it.

An important supervisory skill is commitment to building a team that shares a vision and a plan to achieve set goals. Good managers know they are part of a team that consists of members with different strengths, weaknesses, beliefs and ideals, but together can reach their goals through communication and developing relationships.

To me, I find that to be a successful manager you must have organization and communication skills. You must be consistent with your management and your message must be congruent with your actions. Your success in managing others begins with successful self-management.

Inspiring a shared team vision is a powerful skill. Identifying and leveraging the diversity of skills and ideas within the team structure is the ideal method of moving the team toward goal accomplishment. Getting everyone involved in the planning process is also critical to establishing the shared vision and creating the positive energy necessary to move to the goal.

Organizational skills are of tremendous value, particularly in a matrixed structure. The ability to pull people, information, and resources together to help develop and identify opportunities and barriers gives managers a significant advantage as they pursue their goals. Leading the way and modeling the correct behaviors through your own actions is also very powerful. Thanks.

I believe that one of the most important traits that one can have as a leader, manager is to not really understand the concept of listening. In this context it is a "verb" which means we have to learn to actually hear what is being said by our staff not just sit their and nod our head as we are thinking of our grocery list.

I agree. Being a good manager involves a complex listing of traits and styles. Combining effective communication, self organization, planning, active listening, motivating, etc in different ways can be used in a variety of arenas.

I agree. It is equally important to respond in a manner that will facilitate listening by the other party as well. Communication must be clear and open.

I believe the most import skill to becoming a great manager is remaining consistent. The reason why I feel that consistency is the most important is that our people need guidance and reinsurance that they are doing what is expected.

People in education are themselves so well educated and intellegent that it would be a shame not to support a collaborative work environment to fully benefit from those wonderful brains.

Good post Robert. We need to know our direct reports as "individuals that make up a team." Some have different skill sets and are motivated by different things, so knowing your direct reports as individuals first is important.

I believe you need to know each one of your employees personalities,when leading or coaching it is always helpful to know hoe each will reacted

Listening was my first thought, too. I like Covey's fourth habit: Seek first to understand, then to be understood. This also ties in with the well-known, "No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care." Listening is one of the keys to caring. Many problems are cleared up just by listening and understanding.

Agree. Motivation comes from within. Fundamentally, we can't motivate anyone except ourselves. We can provide incentives, but it's getting to know people and responding to their needs that helps them to develop motivation.

I think it's important to have been in the same position that you are supervising to be able to understand the work your subordinates do. You have a better understanding of the things they have to deal with on a daily basis. You can listen to suggestions and give ideas on how to better do the task at hand. It's important to be creative, reliable and a good leader to be able to guide a group of employees.

I think it is important to be able to read other peoples personalities. You should be able to understand where each employee is coming from to better assist. Recognize that each employee is different and has different needs and wants.

As a Manager/Leader over the years I feel that the most important thing you can do is to understand your team and know the sign of lost motivation and to include them in future plans for the department or team. We have had a pretty good track record at this and everyone feels like they are part of the successes and will also understand that they are part of the failiers as well. In this way we can move forward no matter what the situation.

I believe that managers or supervisors need certain skills such as how to delegate, communicate, hire, resolve conflict, and work with difficult people. I think that the first step for people to become excellent supervisors involves their managing themselves.

The most importan qualities for me are, supportive, be a good listener, sometimes directive, and always keep in mind your company goals

Greisy,
Great thoughts. I appreciate that you put "sometimes directive." I think too many people feel that being supportive & a good listener is contrary to being directive. I believe that you can be effectively directive while still being supportive & truly listening to the other person.
Ryan

Sign In to comment