Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Effective Online Assessment | Origin: EL142

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Effective Online Assessment

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Recognizing the Assessment Opportunities - Should use a varity of assessments to gage the students knowledge and envolvement with the specific lesson.  

Realizing the Challenges - deciding on sycronous vs asyncronus learning.  Know the hardware that is needed have a plan in place to help prevent cheating is easier online verses in class.

Overcoming the Challenges - Have a list of required technology and have it outlined in the handbook for students.  Set time limits for tests, have multiple versions of test.  Any feedback to students should be within 24-48 hours and make all feedback as personal as possible, such as using the students name in the comments or even using voice comments.  

Collecting Additional Tips - Use scenario-based quesstions and have a rubric for all assessments/projects.  This will outline to the student how they will be graded and that each instructor will grade the same.  

Great learning knowledge and tools, new ideas always bring out more interest in the virtual classroom. loved the chair before during and after thoughts, they will open more connections with students and give them more to talk about in the open discussion

I have learned how to assess students before during and after a lesson is given. Discussion and sceneries will bring the class tighter wiith the different answers and how each individual thinks.

I need to pay more attention to the before assessments in order to gage the lesson to address the student's learning and retention modes.  This will set the stage for better learning and retention and post assessment knopwledge.

Now that I recognize the value of the three types of assessment tools, diagnositc, formative, and summative, I will try to implement each type into my lessons. This will help me tailor the lesson to the students' needs (diagnostic), determine which topics I need to focus on more (formative), but also allow the student immediate feedback on their comprehension and value of the lesson (summative).   

I have also learned that when I administer a test online, it is helpful to time it and shuffle the questions and/or answers to prevent cheating and ensure adequate assessment. 

Incorporate audio feedbacck in assignments if possible

THere are many challenges for maintaining engagement. In the classroom I have learned with this training to assess everyday all students learning styles in order to have the best learning enviornment. All styles are needed and alos paying attention to detail for integrity in the classroom setting. 

I learned how to make exams that tests students on more real life situations rather and rote memorization for online learning.  Also, ways to prevent cheating on online classes.

There are many available options for student assessments. It is important to acknowledge and understand any challenges the students and myself as an instructor have when it comes to online assessments. Technology can be a bit frustrating and learning how to overcome the challenges is essential for successful instruction. I will use this knowledge to evaluate each of my student's needs and figure out ways to support them.

The online learning environment features wonderfully fast and nimble feedback loops. This means that an opening question or quiz can easily guide you on what students already know and which of them have a more advanced understanding and which don’t.

This course will be helpful in keeping the integrity of testing and education.

Nice structure and tools.

meeting the objectives...ongoing teacher/student interaction//encouragement of critical thinking as we present scenarios;

this challenges the students..(i.e  nursing process  components ) other

The idea of incorporating a video/audio component to the feedback is great.  I experienced this in one of my courses as a doctoral student.  The instructor sent the paper back to me with very detailed notes using track changes.  However, he also provided a video where he walked me through the major points of emphasis with an explanation.  I can still recall that experience and believe taking a little extra time and effort to provide quality feedback will improve student success metrics.  Another good point is to do a live Webex with the student and bring up their deliverable on screen then discuss it for 10-15 minutes with the professor.

I learned how to prepare online assesments, what are the challenges, components. Very helpfull. 

This is a very helpful tool in assessing also my work as a teacher and look at it from the perspective of the student specially in creating multiple shoice question or hurdling the challenges on online teaching as not all are computer savvy.  Very helpful.

I will apply some of these tips!

I learned about the "three legged stool metaphor". This is an excellent way of learning about the student's comprehension. Also, this allows for the instructor to recap on areas that students might have had some trouble. Sometimes as Instructors we need to reword or teach the same topic in a different way as there are many different learning styles.

The 'three-legged stool' is an excellent method for when and how to assess students. It reminds me of a follow up of the KWL charts taught in secondary education. One things I plan to work on is adding more of pre-assessment as a means to also engage my students when introducing a new topic. 

By incorporating viable resources to help assess individuals on their academic performance. Tailoring assessments to the needs of the students is vital to understanding and gauging their academic abilities.

Sign In to comment