Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Recognize the assessment opportunities, realize the associated challenges, have resources outlined and available to provide students for when challenges present to overcome them, and collect additional tips.

Develop new scenario-based questions or replace the definition-style type of questions with these higher-order thinking scenario questions. Scenario-based questions also allows students to see the connection to the objectives and topics covered to the job and career they wish to be in upon graduation.

Thank you for the suggestions on the Lockdown Browers, the QueText and the Proctor U.  I will look into them and see how I can incorporate them or something like them.  

Great suggestions throughout. 

Loved The Stool activity and will implement in my classroom.

I really took a lot away from the activity of The Stool and the Integrity Planner; as I take more ownership of monitoring online courses/LMS activity/course design, I think these tools and activities will be great additions to help me guide my faculty toward more effective assessment opportunities and increased student engagement/satisfaction in general with online courses. 

I would like to incorporate the use of whichever technology the student prefers to present their term project.  We traditionally tell them it needs to be a PowerPoint presentation.  I agree that if it is something they are familiar with and comfortable with, then the presentation could potentially have a better outcome.  Whether that be presentation boards, video presentations, google slides, or other presentation platforms.

Awareness of the various types of assessments in order to understand what a student knows, will learn, and has learned from a lesson(s) so there are assessments to fit what knowledge has been gained. 

En este módulo aprendí a diseñar evaluaciones que se alineen con los objetivos de aprendizaje y a proporcionar retroalimentación significativa a los estudiantes. Planeo aplicar estos conocimientos, creando nuevos métodos de evaluación, incorporar preguntas basadas en escenarios para fomentar el pensamiento crítico y garantizar que las evaluaciones sean justas y accesibles para todos los estudiantes. Mi objetivo como docente será promover la autodirección y el aprendizaje significativo.

In this topic, we have seen the different assessment opportunities such as diagnostic, formative, and summative. It is also important to keep in mind that an online assessment differs from a face-to-face assessment because the learning environment changes depending on the technology. I believe that assessments should be challenging and motivating and that what motivates a student the most is to be able to test their creativity in real-life situations, where they can develop real competencies and provide solutions to real problems through integrative projects.   

It is imperative to get your students to interact in an online environment.  All to often, there are students who feel you are not talking to them.  By creating scenario questions whereby everyone can participate you will encourage those who feel left out.

I really enjoyed learning about the "thee legged stool metaphor". This can ensure that the student effectively learns. I will apply these tips.

using all the possible /available recourses to make the best out of yourself.

Comment on Susan Klos's post

Comment on Susan Klos's post:  

I've learned different ways of assessing student's knowledge throughout an entire course.  It's important to get to know your students to properly "meet them where they're at" from the beginning of each course.  "The stool" is a good roadmap to assess the topics covered in each lecture.  Implementing scenarios is crucial to develop critical thinking, and therefore master the understanding of the course/lecture objective. There are several tools at an instructor's disposal, but it is important to be flexible to be able to address each student's needs. 

The information that I have obtained from this is how to be open, responsive in not only a positive but a personal matter with the students, as well as other peers. Being in the students' seat has taught me to put myself in their shoes. One of the many tools that I will be implementing for my class will be my feedback, to checkpoint the learning of the students growth, the pre assessments, and the rewrite of questions as the scenarios. There are many more little details but to list them all I will be here all day. 

I learned by incorporating the "before, during and after" assessments that we can meet students where they are at. Feedback is important to allow students the ability to see what they learned.  Asking the right questions to foster critical thinking skills and cooperative learning. Realizing the technological challenges students face which may impede their learning process.  To overcome any challenges, it is essential to adapt to their environment and partner with the students to help meet their needs. Helping to design a course with questions and scenarios to enhance the critical thinking processes to implement their learning growth.

Being a specialty instructor, to try to be a role model and to bring all the possible materials from our personal experience on the table, to try to make the students feel that they are the most important part of the instructor's job and that they can make it to their goal if they set up their plan.

I have learned different ways in which to assess a student's learning. The before, during. and after lesson assessments can be an effective way to reiterate information. I really like the preassessment which will tell me a student's knowledge on the subject before we even get into it. It's also important to understand each student's retention and ways of learning. This will help me to meet a student halfway and go back through things that certain students may still not be grasping. I also want to build on more critical thinking questions in my online quizzes rather than just multiple choice. I want to make my feedback to students more personal within canvas by utilizing the voice or video feedback features. I also want to use rubrics for assignments as it does take away from any bias, giving a set standard for assignments and point breakdown.

Try my best to engage students in their learning by pointing out the importance of the real field!   

I have learned the importance of online assessment - before, during and after - classes. Also I find really interesting how to avoid students cheating using technology and managing questions applying codes and variations. And not less important, tips to ask questions on scenarios. 

Sign In to comment