Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have used both objective and subjective assessments in the past.  It is critical to establish rubrics for subjective assessments.  In most courses, both serve a function.  

I prefer objective forms of assessment. It provides the students with instant feedback. Subjective type questions can be used for discussion pirposes too.

As an instructor I need to verify the validity of assessments, I have seen quizzes from the book publisher that were wrong.

No matter what type of assessment, if it isn't accurately representing real world application of the material or a realistic understanding of the material, then it is pointless and needs to be redone. It must also, of course, be geared towards their current level of understanding. I like to use practical applications whenever possible for the assessments.

Objective assessments are have clearly defined right or wrong answer. Always make sure the question is specific to the content. Also, give feedback on correct answers not just wrong answers. Subjective assessments are evaluated by giving an opinion, like an essay question.

I learned that there are 3 steps that need to be followed: describe, indicate, and compare. I also realized there are several ways to grade assingments. 

Subjective and objective assesments are different. Subjective is what I portray onto my class, objective is what is really going on.

utilization of essay and performance evaluations rather than MCQs

Criterion-referenced assessments can be used to gauge how a student came to a specific conclusion.  This along with essay can help instors know if the student knows the process of coming up with a correct answer and measures thier understanding of the subject.

I learned the different types of evaluation for my students and how to use them for different criterias of evaluation

Rubrics are a must to grade equally. 

This is important: Instead of simply marking questions right or wrong with no feedback, it is imperative that feedback be a consistent part of any assessment including objective assessment.

Very interesting section on assessmemts and the difference between subjective and objective assessments.

I do appreciate a reliable and valid tool of assessment in my classes.  Constant student feedback can help develop and update assessments from semester to semester.

I learned the differenced between norm and objective asseesments and different types of both assessments.

A good assessment is both reliable and valid. Validity of an assessment is generally gauged through examination of evidence in the following categories:

• Content: The extent to which the content of the test matches the instructional outcomes/objectives.
  • Criteria: The extent to which scores on the test are in agreement with outcomes/objectives.

Essay questions can be an excellent measure of understanding to require students to go beyond rote factual knowledge. Problem-solving questions can require students to demonstrate the steps to solve a problem. Both types of subjective assessment involve higher thinking skills.

The objective assessment is more of a testing right or wrong,true or false,or multiple choice whereas subjective assessment is more essay orientated. Feedback is important in both types of assessments.

Assessing what students have learned can be approached with diverse methods in order to not only adequately evaluate learning but to elevate the process of assessment. More information is gained in regard to student learning as methods move beyond the simplest of objective, true/false questions.

I learned subjective vs objective assessments.

Sign In to comment