Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

With any test it is important to provide feedback to the student. This type of practice should be followed all the time.

Objective and Subjective can be very useful when determining the level of knowledge of the students, giving us the information we need to improve, eliminate or add content in the course.

I learned the difference between norm-referenced and criterion-referenced assessments and when each should be used.

I learned that subjective assesment is a good evaluation of the student's knowledge of the material.   I can also be a great assesment of a student's basic writing skills. 

I more thoroughly learned the difference between norm-referenced and criterion-referenced. I also learned that much of the evaluation I complete in my class is criterion-referenced, however the end of course assessment for my course, provided by PLTW, is norm-referenced.

I did not really think about or know the difference between normal and criterion referencing, but do now.

Assessments must be consider as an important part of the students learning and must aline with the objectives of the lesson or course.  The validity make sure that what is being testing ic correct whether it the test is objective assessment or subjective evaluation.  Finally the teacher and students need to know whether test is a norm which includes a large group being tested or criterion-referenced which focus on the learning outcomes. 

There are several ways to evaluate the student's success in a course. I now know the difference between subjective and objective assessments and which are best for what outcomes I am looking for. 

Assessment types and know when or why to use them. 

I believe that I have utilized all of the different types of testing list in this section except norm assessments.  I think that I utilize the objective testing most frequently because that is provided through the textbook.  However, I have created my own subjective tests.  The students really do not enjoy them.  Honestly, creating the rubric for them can be challenging for me too.  I'm looking forward to the upcoming section on rubrics.  There are times when I write them that I feel like I am splitting hairs. 

Assessments must be reliable, providing the same results each time they are administered, and valid, meaning they clearly and accurately test what was taught. Objective assessments are typically multiple choice, true/false or another form of short answer, to which there is only one correct answer. Subjective assessments allow students to expound on the knowledge they have gained and are graded by use of a rubric, which is distributed to students before the assessment to guide their response and make clear how they will be assessed. Assessments should be criterion-referenced to ensure they test the objectives and the correct level of learning. While criterion-referenced assessments provide diagnostics and information on course effectiveness, while norm-referenced assessments rank or categorize students based on their learning.

A very interesting module about norm and criterion-referenced assessments. Will be utilizing them. 

Rubrics should be provided for more subjective matter.

This section definitely help me with understanding the difference between norm-reference and criterion reference assessments.

I should use more essay style questions in my assessments to better gauge if my students are grasping material.

The different types of assessment, and how to use objective and subjective assessments.

Using subjective means giving an opinon. 

Objective tests should be given feedback even if they are automatically graded. This allows students to know why the answer was wrong. This feedback could be given orally or written. I usually go over all tests after they are closed for this reason.

This Module taught me the difference between various assessments as well as the difference of objective and subjective assessments in order to improve student learning and the actual teaching process and hoe to enhance it by making the correct modifications if needed.

You should take into account Bloom's Taxonomy when constructing assessments.

Sign In to comment