Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

These assessments can be a little confusing. I'm glad they have great descriptions and examples but I do find it hard identifying which is which

I have learned that as an intructor we must provide feedback to students not just marking right or wrong with no feedback, it is imperative that feedback be a consistent part of any assessment.  Student's will understands what areas needs improvement.

I learned that I am much more comfortable with criterion-referenced assessments. As a student, I hated it when a teacher graded on a curve and I am not a competitive person by nature. I was intrigued by the idea of looking at individual test questions and evaluating who got it right and who got it wrong. I think this would be an important tool for knowing how to reach individual students and how to make a test better. 

Nancy Tosh

There are different ways to determine a student's understanding of the subject matter. Objective is more black and white with clear right and wrong answers, it would be helpful in summative assesments. Subjective definitely gives a little more maneuverability to understanding the student's perspective, it could be helpful when utilizing formative assessment.

Both norm-referenced and criterion-referenced assessments are important for student learning. As a nursing instructor, I need students to be compared to a standard when performing skills. However, they also must be compared to large groups so a norm-referenced assessment is also helpful in preparation for taking a national board exam. 

I learned that I have always used the assessments described in this unit however I haven't always thought of them using these terms. 

Both objective and subjective assessments can be used as a part of a complete formative assessment.

I see the value of both. My experiences have been more to the objective methods (ie Flight ttraining).

I generally do not give feedback on quiz questions. I should consider doing that!

Mary

Norm referenced assessments are used to compare student's understanding.

Hello,

Very informative reading.

David

Validity and reliability is a good measurement

I sure wish I would have taken this course BEFORE the course on the rubrics.  Sorting through all the terms has been helpful.

I learned a variety of things in this section.  First, objective assesments have a right or wrong answer where subjective assesments are more like essays that answer an open ended question.  It is critical to provide feedback on objective assessments, not just for subjective assessments.  Subjective assesments must have a rubric with it so that the student understands how they will be evaluated. 

I have learned that essay type questions assist in demonstrating the students broader knowledge.  It will show if the student fully understands the content and is able to apply it appropriately.  Students attempt to memorize content, in nursing memorization does not demonstrate critical thinking and concept knowledge.  They need to learn the concepts and how to apply the to different situations or scenarios.  Essay questions could better demonstrate that.

objective and subjective assessmets are equally important

I had never considered utilizing criterion-referenced assessments, focusing only on objective assessments. I plan to investigate criterion-referenced assessments more thoroughly. I am also interested in utilizing a greater amount of subjective assessments with well-designed rubrics to evaluate the student's response.

In this module I learned about creation of an asertive assessment objective or subjective and also about norm-referenced and criterion referenced assessment. Personally, I love crtierion referenced assessment, but both are necesarry. 

I like so much the norm-referenced assessments because I can use in the classrooms and I can compare the skills of some students with others in the diferents materias, to evaluate their outcomes. 

In this module, I have learned that Norm-referenced assessments are used to compare a student's skills to skills of others within a particular group. Norm-referenced assessments are most appropriate when the instructor wants to make comparisons across a large numbers of students or needs to make a decision regarding student placement and advancement.

Sign In to comment