Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Blogs allow students to share their views on certain topics in a constructive way. This allows for constructive feedback from their peers and other people which often leads to growth when handled efficiently.

I think it would be great to incorporate blogging into our online curriculum by:

having students keep an online journal, create blogging assignments around current events, turn student blogs into multimedia research projects, using blogs as portfolios, and setting up online study guides for students.

Blogging is a great way for students to gain more practice in their writing skills. 

I have learned that I will likely want to consider adding a blog to some of my classes.

Joyce Hladky, Instructor

Reply to Becca Humphrey's post:

Definitely new to the idea, but also think it's a great way to incorporate social media! 

Blogging is an effective way to invoke critical thinking and engagement in online environments

blog activities may include the following:

• Students provide commentary on a research topic pertinent to the course.
  • Students develop a central point for text, images, and links to other blogs.
  • Students develop an interactive format to explain subject matter.
  • Students develop tools for social advocacy pertinent to their field of study.
  • Students become cognizant regarding real-time, real life scenarios like catastrophes

Blogging can be very useful.  I will look for ways to implement the use of blogs in my classes.

I think what I have learned the most in here is about how to assess all of these social media venues.

Set the guidelines for the blog and keep them professional. Pose a question on a subject and have the learner, based on their research, develop an plan of repair or explanation. 

Comment on Lesley Fielding's post

I think developing a rubric and providing good examples for all of these forms of social interaction is imperitive so students understand etiquitte as well as proper referencing etc.

Comment on Joel Campbell's post

Blogs can be utilized as a teaching tool to accommodate all types of learners. Classroom management, collaboration, discussion, and student portfolios are the four fundamental tasks. 

It was interesting to learn more about having blogs only meant for the student and instructor versus open to wider audience. This type of setting could help others feel more secure and confident but limits the amount of networking, interactive nature and communication. If learning outcomes did not incorporate this, then having more secluded settings could be helpful to incorporate.

It can be to helpful to students to use blogging.

CTC

I concur with the comment that the instructor needs to clearly state the intent of the blog and the requirements that support it.

I LOVE the use of blogs in education.  I facilitated a leadership course for senior executives for a number of years and used this tool to have folks reflect on their learning.  The "daily reflection" blog allowed the participants to learn from one another and enabled the course mentors to provide richer engagement during the face-to-face sessions.  This tool also gave a voice to those who were more reluctant to share in the classroom allowing more diverse views and opinions to be presented.  I did not use a rubric at the time but see the value in providing one to the participants to increase the quality of the posts.

Prior to an assessment, it is important to provide the students with a sample demonstration of what is expected in posting a blog.

Blogging is a great online resourses for all

I'm interested in possibly integrating blogging into my classroom.

Blogging creates a portfolio of each students work.  This will allow progress to be assessed.

Sign In to comment