Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Blogs can be used in a variety of ways. Not only can multi-media be added to content but blogs can include testing and class updates.

The blogging rubric is beneficial to define what is possible in using a blog as a part of instruction. Depth of idea and strength of citations is a factor as shooting from the hip does not create the kind of rigor needed in an academic setting. 

Including a blog into your course material sounds like it will benefit the class in a manner of which they can discuss topics as needed. 

Blogging allows for learning to go beyond online structure. It allows students to elaborate and be as expressive as they want to be, as long as they follow online etiquette. Like mentioned in chapter, they cannot give out personal information, be disrespectful, or talk about someone else without their permission. But blogging indeed, is a great resource tool for learing.

Thanks for all the information about blogging and how to use it to engage students.

Note: Your comments about "head" and "heart" (referring to younger students and older adults) needs to be clearer.

Do you mean that younger people are not able to engage in the same quality/level of reasoning adults engage in? This is a contestable claim.

What is the evidence for this?

Piaget was wrong. Children can also philosophize well if adults allow them to.

Side Note: Look also at David Hume's description that people (young and old) are a "bundle of sense impressions."

There are also mutiple adults who reason through their emotions (if that's what you mean) as well as children who, if allowed, can think more like Socrates )more logical) and less like their Peter Pan parents.

I like the idea of authoring a blog as an addition to working in the classroom. I have known collegues who have blogs, vlogs, or webpages where they share their research. 

The number of posts is not enough. The content of the post must be evaluated. 

The use of Flickr as a visual Blog tool

Understanding that nowdays these generations communicate and learn different we have to make sure we include tecnhology in the learning process, I personally, use videos,  simulation labs and AI tools and also break rooms to help them to work in groups.

I do not use a lot of social media, but I think is a good idea to incorporate it.

It's very beneficial-Succinct sound bites. Drop hints for students to spark thoughts & discussion. "Boom"--(mike drop)

In this module, I have learned the importance to identify the purpose of the blog to provide for appropriate assessment. With this understanding, they will be able to provide adequate blog postings and be engaged in the process.

Blogging is a complete project based learning, online instructors must ensure students know how to use blogs and understand why they are pertinent to the course learning outcomes.

In this module Ive reviewed about blogging estrategy.

Need to learn more myself before applying 

I can see many ways to utilize blogging in all of our Gen Ed courses. I am excited to have learned more about them.

Two of the biggest obstacles to using a blog in a course of instruction is; 1.) Learning Curve, and 2) Course duration. Since I instruct mostly adult learners, some but not all are familiar with blogging. Add to that a short duration course of 5-8 weeks and the need to learn and become comfortable blogging is a main obstacle, aside from the goals and expectations of the course purpose.

I like the idea of using blogging as a way to mentor students. I thing it would be very beneficial and engaging for new students. 

I feel there is an emphasis on teaching student to be great bloggers - and not learn the course material.

Blogging allows participants to express their opinion on a topic or a solution to a problem and receive response from others working on the same problem or topic. Blogging allow the participants to "hear" different views or solutions.

Blogging can be a great online tool for students and instructors alike!

Sign In to comment