Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Media Hosting and Sharing | Origin: EL110

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Effective Use of Social Media in Online Courses --> Media Hosting and Sharing

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

When using social media, a good rule of thumb would be a general rubric plus peer evaluation.

Rubrics should be flexible and be evaluated according to student preformance.

An example from the suggested activities: Using media hosting and sharing sites also helps remove barriers to learning such as socio-economic barriers, physical distance, learning disabilities, and even language barriers when information is provided with captioned text and in various languages. Therefore, activities can include students accessing the hosting and sharing site and finding videos to meet their needs and embedding them into their own project or assignment. For example, if students are required to conduct research, they may find a video to support their research and embed that video into a slide show for an oral presentation.

Media hosting and sharing sites provide an opportunity to enhance any course. Most of these sites are typically easy to access and useful. I  can make learning more interactive because these platforms serve as an essential supplement to myonline course. I can create videos to introduce or summarize course content. Students may create their own content or find videos through media hosting and sharing sites that relate to the course.

As social distancing ordinances increase, I’m looking for ways to embrace technology that connects us with others.  by increasing the number of  online assignment, chat rooms, I feel more students will sign up for and using social media. 

I think it would be best to use flexable rubrics 

Social media hosting/sharing sites can only be effective with learning when guidelines are established for use as an assessment activity for evaluation learning outcomes. Thus, social media polices are a valued part with using this strategy in your own course; this includes addressing integrity, roles, expectations and consequences for compromising the guidelines.  I have used blogs and wikis in courses and they were only effective with a firm set of guidelines for professionalism and monitoring of the site as some students wanted to use them a social, personal means of networking.

Learning about social commentary was the most interesting fact learned in this module.  I use videos and have students talk about them regularly, but it is done locally in the clasroom.  So, using it via socail media will definitely be an engaging way for the students.

I learned that some of the websites I have been using to help students generate their own study materials are social networking sites I could be using to do alot more.

Learnnig  products, discusssions, and research can all be conducted on media hosting or sharing sites. Instructors should be sure that the sites they choose are appropriate for the content, free or low cost, easy to learn, and have appropriate policies and advertisers. Policies must be ini place to support positive outcomes, and students must be familiar with those policies. Thesee sites can be used for content presentation, and instructors must ensure that the content is appropriately chunked and presented in the best medium.

I've learned to use digital portfolios to keep track of student work. This is a great way to show student growth in the content that I teach.

Rubrics are important tools to evaluating students in social media and sharing.

Allowing students to make up part of the content can be very benificial to all involved. Students can take ownership of their learning and start building a portfolio for their future.

Rubrics should be detailed enough so that the assessments are helpful, but also use general terms so they can be used for assessing a variety of student responses.

What are the things that I've learned from this unit is the importance of tailoring do use of social media for a specific purpose in class. The use of rubrics should be flexible to meet the needs of the assignment. Giving students options in ways that they can express themselves and your understanding of the content is key to the success of the course.

Flexible Rubric and an Open Mind

That the usage of rubrics really depends on the class and the assignment.

I learned that there are definitely challenges when asking students to use Media Hosting and Sharing. One of those challenges is the assessment of their efforts. However, the willingness to be flexible and use tools such as rubrics and peer reviews can be helpful.

I learned about the particulars of allowing students to post and share on various media platforms, and how to effectively assess their end product.

Sign In to comment