Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have learned that measuring good communication must be understood. It is important for communication to be easy and effective. Rubrics can be used to help be consistent and fair to all students.

On-line student participation in discussions is a vital part to a class.  One must watch out for low quality posts though.  One suggestion to improve post quality is to have each student introduce themselves to the class, this way they transform from a class...to a community.

Rubrics sound like great tools for a variety of reasons. Application of them in online classes can alleviate a lot of problems in expectation and outcomes.

Becoming a "guide onb the side" is a challenging but important skill.  Doing this in a f2f situation is much easier than in an online setting.

EL 105 - Module 4 is packed with nuggets. Provides excellent pointers on establishing and motivating quality communication through sense of "community." Personalize communication, create a warm inviting atmosphere. Instructors to gain facilitation skills thus removing teacher  dependence giving students control over their own learning. Facilitate to guide, motive, engage. Communication is to be both academic and personal. Communication and collaboration key. One  such communication tool that is highly advised is a Rubric. Rubric is twofold> For the instructor to evaluate student  participation consistently and for the students it communicates expectations. 

In this module, the most beneficial section for me was the discussion on Rubrics.  I have not used them consistently, but it works great as a simple tool (simple being the keyword) for communicating clear and concise expectations and for providing a more standardized evaluation.  This should allow me to better evaluate participation and to provide clearer feedback.

Rubrics are very helpful

Online Language: Communicating with Students --> Measuring Good Communication

You can measure good communication by having a rubric or by setting a pre-discussed plan about what is good communication for you as an instructor.  In sense giving your students the rules on how to be successful with good communication.

Rubics, effective communications, communication vode of conduct, evaluations,(formative,summarative), prompt feedback, diverse students (babyboomers, milliniums, generation x, generation y), discussion boards, and netequette, etc, are all imperative for online teaching.

This module was a great reminder to set rubrics for our formative and summative assessments. I have guidelines for my discussion posts, but will add a rubric. 

It is important for students to collaborate with their peers during online courses. This engages the student and forms an online community which gives the student a similar experience as would a traditional classroom setting.

Community is the most important part of the online class.  Without it, there is no communication, colaboration, or participation in group discussions.  I like the idea of the rubric for assessing communication.

Rubrics are key for students 

I like the idea of posting a "what it takes to be successful in this course with the following critieria. I think putting that in the syllabus, in writing will be very beneficial.

• Open mindedness

• Communication (written and verbal)

• Self-motivation

• Self-discipline

• Time management

• Computer competency

• Critical thinking

• Teamwork

Communication is key in online learning. It is also important for the instructor to create an intorductory disussion post for student and instructor to introduce themesleves. The introductory post will help create a sense of community.  Rubrics are also an important part as the student knows the expecatations and requirements of the coruse. 

I learned that it is important to communicate your communication expectations early on.  I should have established that parents check in daily instead of weekly or not at all.

Effective communication is important in an online class. It is important for the instructor to create an introductory discussion post. This will help students feel like they are part of a community. It is also important to create a rubric so students know the expectations and how they are being graded. 

Because we have multiple level classroom and various ability levels it often becomes important to collaborate with our peers to gain and ensure we provide fair implementation for content mastery.

Cummunicating with students and providing them a rubric that is clear and precise is important to online learning. The online classroom is effective when it engage, guide, and motivate learner and provide a safe learning environment.

Rubrics area  great tool for online course

Sign In to comment