Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

One trend of network teaching is to become the promoter of knowledge through network environment. One definition of "facilitation" is the help process, which is actually the role of the instructor in an online environment. A successful online teacher depends not only on the students' communication skills, but also on his / her communication skills. Online lecturers / counselors wear "four pairs of shoes": lecturers, social directors, project managers and technical assistants.

In this topic I found various key points I agree with. One is that learners should be responsible for their own learning but the instroctor must facilitate the learning, and another is that facilitators wear different hats. Therefore, I have to know when and how to were each hat.

I plan to review my course(s) holistically, by content, and by assingment to assess how successful I am in facilitating student learning and waht can be done to improve student learning.

As an instructor you have to make sure you give enough feedback to each students, answer their questions, and help clear up any confusing. Make sure as the instructor you are fostering a learning environment and make sure everyone is learning together as best as you can. 

Thought this was interesting:Online instructors/facilitators wear "four pairs of shoes" : instructor, social director, program manager, and technical assistant.

This session emphasized the importance of communication and how teaching styles play an important role in the over-all learning outcomes. Evaluating teh course and using communication and surveys together pesents a more definitive picture.

Being an effective instructor comes down to more than just the class structure and delivery of the content. You must be able to be an administrator, an effective communicator outside of class, and a shepherd for the students in order for them to gain as much knowledge as possible during their time with you. 

I learned that it is important to include student feedback while you are evaluating what changes may need to be made to a course.

It is necessary to use a multi-faceted approach in course evaluation.

IT is difficult with communicating in a virtual environment

I do have to resist a tendency to lapse back into lecturing; but as thelesson points out, there is a need to identify the best approach for each course. The key is to introduce the foundational concepts clearly enough that the students can begin to build on them, otherwise, their self-directed learning has unstable foundations on which to build.

To stay in contact and communicate with students and make changes in a timely manner to facilitate student and course success

I the emphasis of creating a framework of timely, personal informative feedback to keep the student from feeling isolated or detached. Also, I like the the emphasis of reflecting on a problem: Problems are not bad; they can be opportunities to improve the course. 

Feedback to students is very important. I will make sure that I am in constant communication with my students concerning their progress. 

The different roles the professor has and how to support students 

It is important to engage the students for a more successful learning environment. It is also important to facilitate engagement amongst peers.

As a facilitator, there are many important tasks. Communication, fostering a learner-centered environment, structuring problem-based learning, and providing meaningful, informative feedback are all essential. 

in order to be true leaders in learning.....students must be lead by example and instructors must be willing to adapt and adjust their teacing style at any moment and facilitate a smooth transition for students as they do thesame

An instructor must be focused on co tent creation facilitation and engagement and never allow the online environment to become centerEd the socially aspect of student engagement 

Participation from students is critical for online engagement to work effectively. It may be difficult to get students to participate so we need to determine motivation for this to work. 

We also need to continuously evaluate feedback to adjust courses. 

Being the "Guide on the Side" and facilitating discussions and interactions with the course content is an important role of the instructor in the online environment. Making expectations for interactions clear is not only important at the start course but on an ongoing basis. It is important for the course instructor to keep tabs on the direction that discussions are taking and gently guide them back on track when they are going off topic.

Sign In to comment