Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Synchronous versus Asynchronous e-Learning | Origin: EL116

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

The Asynchronous, Self-Directed Learning Model --> Synchronous versus Asynchronous e-Learning 

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I was encouraged to see that you can offer synchronus activities in an asynchronus course. This could be tricky, but I think the option of meeting/discussing in real time is a great option, even if it's not the main use during the class. 

I really was thrilled about the core elements of asynchronous learning. The student taking responsibility for their own learning aspect stated that those needing more assistance from the instructor would seek it out. However, their search for assistance was not immediate or urgent and could be handled in a timely manner. I do like the idea that all material resources are available 24/7. I also liked the idea of an online laboratory and using synchronous materials.

While many believe that asynchronous courses have little interaction opportunities, I found that this is quite the opposite. An instructor can still create an ingaging environment and connections within an asynchornous course. 

That students need to take ownerhsip in their learning.  They need to decide what is going to work best for them (synchronous/asynchronous).  With that being said, when working in the public school system with middle and high school students we have situations where the student is forced into a certain learing format, and forced to learn that way due to health, family views, parents working, etc.  We need to have a good line of communication open, frequent feedback, parent involvment, and a way for the students to showcase what they are learning. 

Yes, I agree.  There are still many prescribed standards in public school, however, as you say, having a context of open and direct communictaion and "scaffolded" learning provides more learning opportunity for students.  Perhaps with increasing exposure to online across the country, changes might happen, too, with prescrived learning. 

Sycronous learning is important for the online classroom for younger or less self disciplines students.  Online sycronous instruction is the hardest to grasp because there were very few examples of this in the past.  Videos of Sycronous lessons being taught online by instructors would be beneficial.  

I intend to be very reflective and thoughtful as to what parts of sycronous instructions can be used asycronously and how to make it interactive, but self paced. 

Asynchronous coursework can be a great advantage for two types of students: those that cannot attend a synchronous course at a particular time and location, and those who are introverted or take longer to participate in class discussions. Asynchronous online learners must be comfortable working alone, self-directed and self-motivated, and have good time management skills, among other characteristics. The use of assessments, such as those provided by True Colors or VARK can analyze the learning preferences of students to determine whether they are a good candidate for asynchronous courses. Asynchronous courses must provide clear direction and well-defined content-related tasks.

students differ in the ways each one likes to understand learning materials.

I was able to co-lead a few workshops this summer where we used the async and synchronus models together. For some participants, async sessions were not a problem while it took sometime for other to adjust to learning on their own. This fall I plan to get feedback from my students on what async model works best for them. Then I will model a workflow that fits the best for my classroom.

I learned about the difference between asynchronous (self directed) vs synchromous (teacher involved). 

A truly balanced course should include both syncronous and asyncronous learning. Pidgeionholing a student into one type can cause issues, especially if they did not make the decesion to learn that way.  With high school learners that can be a problem for teaches to deliver both.

I've always preferred asncronous learning and am pleased to know that there are others who prefer it as well.  I like the time the structure give me to work and prepare my material.  I think it is a good way to engage the introverted, like myself, and let them shine.

I learned how important is to know what type of students we have, type of learners so we can know how to engage them in the course.

Asynchronous learing works for many adult learners who work and/or have children.

Asynchronous learing works when teaching visual design as the pace may differ from student to student. The actual time spent reaching out to the teacher will allow individual learner to not feel intimated.

I learned that the key to an engaging course and good course design would be to include elements from both synchronous and asynchrnous activities. The ideal course would be the appropriate mix of both, dependent on the assignments.

Synchronous and Asynchronous are different learning delivery methods that due to the uniqueness of each one they can be associated with students' learning styles and personalities. The synchronous method requires forums to be conducted at specific times where the educator and the students will connect to an online site simultaneously. This learning delivery method allows students to interact among themselves and the educator simultaneously through live meeting, chats, videos, and share voice. The synchronous learning methods allows the courses to be delivered in real time.

The Asynchronous learning delivery method tends to be more centered on the student complexities that life brings. This method provides for a learning environment that is available at any time, and anywhere. The students and educator are not required to be connected simultaneously. The asynchronous learning delivery method is known for containing prerecorded lectures, audio, and video components. 

While both learning delivery methods offer certain advantages and disadvantages they may not fit every student. Students must consider which method would be best depending on their learning style and personality.

Asynchronous learning delivery may require some work but it is applying the principles of student centered learning.  It allows for flexibility but with discipline.  With freedom comes responsibility.

Sign In to comment