Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I felt that the characteristics of a successful online learner was helpful from Fairmont State University.

Synchronous can be difficult for some because of having to set aside a certain time of the day to be online in the class setting.  Asynchronous allows for the students to get on when it is convenient for them.  

Asynchronous learning is important to the learning process and allows for students and teachers to benefit.

Hello, 

I have learned about synchromous and ashynchronous models in other courses. I really like the point that this course made that Asynchronous courses give introverted students time to think, analyze and respond. It is true that our more extroverted studetns take over the conversation in a f2f classroom. 

Definately a point I will bring up to my students as we contrinue to work online. 

Our school has just gone to this style format in the last year, we have been F2F prior to that. this will be a very good resource for the instructors.

Richard Ullery

The discussion boards allow for students to interact with one another even if they are in an asynchronous class. Posting videos and memes in the announcements help to students feel they are not in a void. They are supported and here is a human just a call or email away.  

It is important that students evaluate their own needs and learning styles prior to enrolling in an asynchronous class. Students should be encouraged to utilize online learning style tools such as VARk and True Colors. 

Reply to Korinne Toadvine's post:I like that you added with freedom comes responsibility. I have problems with students not utilizing good time managemnt with their asynchronous classes. They end up frantically doing all the assignments in the last day or two of or on the due dates. It is difficult to not nag them constantly.

To be a successful student in the asynchrounus environments one must be self motivated learners, have good time management skills, able to work indepedently, not need a strong connection to the instructor or classmates in the courses, and also able to research answers on their own. 

Both Asynchronous and Synchronous can offer students the type of environment they need to succeed.

I'm glad that I learned about assessments like VARK and True Colors from this course. Those assessments will be implemented immediately. It's imperative that my students and I understand what works best for them. Will we be successful in an asynchronous or synchronous course?

With COVID, I've had the opportunity to try my hand at building an asynchronous course. In the information provided by this course, there was an emphasis on the student's own "TIME and PLACE". I find that to be the greatest thing for students, but a challenge for me as a teacher. The fact that all of the information must be readily available can be a struggle. Also, I like to see when the student is confused, angry, or excited. It helps me gauge whether or not to interject an opinion, thought, question, story, or shift things right there on the fly.

I know I can create a mandatory check-in with me, a discussion forum for peer-to-peer sharing, or a weekly F2F class discussion to somewhat attempt to solve this. I guess if a particular student needs me to do that for them, the synchronous model may be a better fit for them. That's why I love that I learned about assessments like VARK.

As instructor i believe we have to be open minded in incorporating synchronous learning with the asynchronous methods in order to maximize student learning.

It is important for the student to understand their learning style and preferences before choosing between taking a synchronous vs asynchronous course.  The VARK questionnaire and the Fairmont State University description of an effective online student are good resources to help a student determine whether they could successfully take an asynchronous course.  I like the flexibility and student-centered nature of online learning, but instructors have to be just as careful, if not more so about planning and designing an online course so that students are effectively engaged and effective learning takes place.

A self directed course can be just as engaging as a synchronous course, but the expectation must be set from the beginning and a student must understand their responsibilities in asynchronous courses.

Asynchronous education can be highly effective with the right design and with the right learner. If thinking about professions that require ongoing learning, almost all of this is asynchronous. That may 1) provide a basis for endorsing its effectiveness but 2) provide an indication of the kind of learner that functions best in the asynchronous learning model. I see an objective is creating courses that are able to better instruct students who may not the ideal asynchronous learner profile.

Lab/STEM courses can also be done in an online platform given proper instruction and supplemented with information or links that a learner can access at any given time.

I know that asynchronous learning can be difficult for some students who need the structure of the classroom, but just because you are asynchronous doesn't mean that you can't set up a class and invite students to join. Make it a scheduled thing even if for an hour and this can give them the structure that is needed while still allowing freedom.

Synchronous learning involves students "meeting"  at indicated times and (virtual) places, and completing classword and assessments at prescribed times. Asynchronous learning allows students to work at any time, from any place, and they must complete assignments and activities independently, without the need for constant instrucotr guidance. Both of these have advantages and drawbacks, and their use should be tailored to the students themselves. The Vark assessment and True Colors can help determine if students have the characteristics most suited to asynchronous learning (such as indpendence, self-motivation, and a preference to learn from readings, videos, etc.) or whether they will be best served by synchronous courses (because of a need for social interation, guidance with labs, etc.)

Synchronous learning is that in which learners meet and complete assignments at the same times, while asynchronous learning is self-paced and available at any time. Each has advantages and drawbacks, so may or may not be right for all students. Student that do best with asynchronous learning are well-motivated and self-managing, requiring little instructor guidance. Synchronous learning may be more well suited to courses that require more student-to-student interaction or some labs. VARK and True Colors assessments can help students determine which type of learning may be best overall for them.

Even though my courses are 'assigned' for a certain format such as asynchronous (there are other sections that are synchronous and blended), I do add an optional component with synchronous learning in terms of study sessions for the difficult, challenging concepts so I can communicate in real time with student's questions. I get positive feedback, achieve higher level of retention of content with learning assessment activities and higher exam scores. I'm a proponent for mixed methodology with online courses based on content, student characteristics and more.

Sign In to comment