Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Making things easy to find, use and engaging makes learning better

The students need to have some skill in the lesson being given and or a drive to learn what is being taught or there isnt a way to truly teach a subject.

I have learned how importat it is that the content is well organized and makes sense to the students.

Online courses are a valuable way of learning

The structural integrity of a course can impact the effectiveness of the course and what learners take away from it. A poorly structured course can cause anxiety for faculty and students and risk the course learning objectives not being met. 

I learned alot over the course of this particular section. Quality online courses need to have structural integrity, navigational simplicty, active learner centered learning, and intellectual interaction.It is all incredibly true. Online course can be effective, but they need to follow certain criteria and meet certain standards. I also feel the image provided of a graph showing positive learning gains from a combination of quality media and the level of interaction, really shows the formula can be simple for successful online learning.

Onlline learning is getting respect in both the "real world" and academia.  That may be one of the positive outcomes of the COVID fight we have been in for the last couple of years.  Instructors are learning thst it isn't the same as face-to-face and students are learning is isn't as easy as they thought.  

To me the real keys are to know your students and meet them where they start.  Strong support and providing alternative tools for learning are also important to the process.

Love the idea of using different types of ways to stimulate virtual learning by using peer group review, still images and videos. I like the pyramid diagram. 

Online courses offer another avenue for education seekers to accomplish their necessary goals.

Because our courses are asynchronous and because we have students of different ages, backgrounds, and geographic locations (timezones, languages, etc..), it can be difficult to promote student engagement. I've learned there are other ways to promote two-way interaction to benefit students and their teachers in delivering and applying their new content. 

I teach anatomy. I will search for a video tour of a coroner lab or an autopsy to demonstrate how the information can be used

Modules that are well structure are easier to follow and engage the students in succesful and meaningful learning

Easy navigability is something that's often taken for granted, and as digital courses progress the more robust and frequent they'll become. Designing a course that is both navigable and engaging is key to student engagement and success!

"The ease with which learners can locate, access, and use information in a course is usually referred to as navigational simplicity. Navigational simplicity is achieved by using links to help learners navigate through the course content."

The design of the online environment should be uniform and easy to navigate. Students should be able to follow the flow. At my school, instructors have a set way to set up the online environment so that each course is easy to navigate and students don't need to learn the site with each instructor. 

There are 4 major steps in providing a sucessful online class. Structral Integrity, Navigational Ease, Active learning, and Intellectual Interaction.  You want to have a rational format, So you will have the course, modules and then lessons.  You want these modules and lessons able to be accessed easily, you want to provide activities to keep students engaged and finally the main goal is to have them learn.  We want our students to have a great experience with other students and instructors.  

Each of the 4 based aspects that I need to apply when I developing a e-learning program are the based to keep the students engaged. I need to be very creative to give that multi-sensory experience in order to get the intellectual interaction. Very interesting! :)

Stuctural Integrity,navigational simplicity, active learner-central learning. intellectual interaction

Focus on the ease of navigating the learning environment. To produce a product that encourages intellectual interaction between students and staff. 

Solid engaging content combined with instructor interaction is key!

Intellectual interaction in online courses will create a greater return in education. Dynamic courses will use multiple learning styles which allow a greater number of students to connect with the material being presented. 

Sign In to comment