Characteristics of Quality Online Courses | Origin: EL101
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
Designing and Developing Online Courses --> Characteristics of Quality Online Courses
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
Even though I won't be teaching an online course I see the importance of technology in the field and how it opens the door for may learner to attend hat may not been able to do so before. You can have very diverse classes without ever having to leave your home.
Comment on Julie Bey's post:
Great points, Julie! I agree that online learning should incorporate a variety of instructional methods to meet different student needs. Using multimedia, animations, interactive discussions, and other engaging activities can make online courses more effective and help students better understand and retain the material.
Dr. Thapaliya
With distance learning on the rise, educators need to inject various methods of teaching online students of varying backgrounds. For example, including media, animations, quality discussion boards, etc. to include the varied ways students learn and retain information.
Comment on Julie Williams's post:
Video uploads, sharing personal nuggets of learning concepts, quick discussions of current discoveries, inventions, and flipping the class with students doing group projects are very useful
Each group member should feel integrated in the group, and provide support
Comment on Christian J Lozada Matos's post:
Small organized, and comprehensible units of information are extremely important. Creating a learning community also makes learning a group activity
The characteristics of a successful online course are
a) intellectual rigor
2) easy navigability
3) available support
4) adheres to course objectives
I learned that meaningful interaction in online learning is more than just clicking through content. Good media and purposeful interaction work together to help keep learners engaged and move learning forward.
I learned that online education has evovled over the years. When it first started as distance education, students had more trouble communicating with their teachers. Now a days, online education must have a more effective communication between student-teacher, integrity and a well done course with activities that help students gain competences. I will apply this knowledge on my classes by using case studies, knowledge based on projects, real examples.
I learned that an effective online course should have structural integrity, simple navigation, learner-centered activities, and meaningful intellectual interaction. As an instructor, I plan to apply these principles by organizing course content clearly, making resources easy to locate, and using engaging activities such as case studies, discussions, real-world examples, and collaborative problem-solving. I will also encourage regular interaction between students and with me as the instructor so that students feel connected, engaged, and actively involved in their learning.
It is important to have structural integrity that is user-friendly defining clear expectations, learning objectives, etc., and that navigating a course is just as important. Providing a variety of learning experiences is also important in allowing students to engage in course assignments - always keeping them guessing and excited for learning.
Online learning is important and useful. I can figure it out as I go.
I learned that course content needs to include activities where critical thinking and problem-solving are practiced by the students. Activities like case studies can be assigned to workgroups that can meet via zoom or any other interactive two-way communication format to discuss and work together to find solutions to the problem presented. It is important that whatever activity is assigned has built-in strategies for engaging every student.
I am learning how valuable the use of online courses has become now. The information online is endless. Also, the person can work at their own speed but, also there is the interaction that can take place between the student and instructor.
The quality and characteristics of online courses depend entirely on how the instructor designs and develops them. If instructors create a learner-centered environment characterized by ease of navigation and structural integrity—factors crucial not only for students' intellectual interaction and multisensory learning experiences but also for their development and enhanced information retention—they can keep students' interest alive. I really love the idea of virtual field trips and enabling students to contribute to the lesson.
This module has reinforced for me that effective online learning needs a clear and coherent structure, with modules, lessons and activities sequenced logically so that students can see how each element contributes to the intended learning outcomes.
I have also learned the importance of navigational simplicity. Students should be able to locate resources, understand expectations and access activities without unnecessary frustration. Clear instructions, consistent Moodle layouts and visible weekly learning pathways are therefore essential.
A quality online course is characterized by: Structural integrity - Navigational simplicity - Learner centered and Intellectual interaction.
The course is challenging for those who are not used to the formal of online education. Patients will surely lead you to succeed. Technology has made education accessible to the most number of people.