Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I strongly agree that the use of the board greatly improves the learning taking place in the classroom. A lot of our students in this feild are very hands on and visual learners and any time we can use any sort of aid, such as the white board to demonstrate concepts or system, the students have an easier time understanding and learning the key learning points and the complete system as well. I use it a lot durring lectures to reinforce what I am teaching and also to create a change of state and break up bordom.

Great points, Jeffrey. Do you also use the board to increase collaboration with your students in dialogue and exchange? If so, how do you think students respond to this kind of approach?

Interactive whiteboards provide opportunities for brainstorming with students. Interactive boards also provide an opportunity to collaborate on the development of various ideas and promote student involvement. Use of these boards is mostly teacher-driven, and the full possibilities of the interactivity are not usually maximized. The technology itself will not increase student interactivity. It takes both the applied use of technology in the teaching and learning process, and intentional instructional design to become successful.

Great points, Harry. The technolgy itself never guarantees constructivist teaching methods. Teachers must be committed to inclusive and collaborative teaching and learning with or without technology. The boards, however, can include more student work when used well. Do you have examples of when you have used the boards more successfuly with your students? What makes the difference in your opinion?

WE are required to use our boards. I use colors and make it a little more that just the info for the day. It also can give a "non-verbal" communication to the calss so first it answers questions before it even becomes and issue or problem. They also allow me to express some artistic creativity that I intertwine with my lectures.

So, Guy, you can use your creativity in presentation and use of the board. How do you think the board use helps to involve more students and also integrate the group's work efficiently?

I can't draw very well, but when I do the class laughs at my pics and understand what I am doing and explaining.

I agree that the white board gives the visual aspect and sometimes creates interaction. When students participate in the learning, they often convey information their own way. It gives students the opportunity to become involved in the lecture part of class instead of just sitting in the room listening.

Quite true, Scott. When you are using the board what strategies do you use to ensure interaction rather than passivity in your students?

It may be the "flash" or maybe a different style of presentation but using the white board interactively is very effective in delivering a message that most students will retain.

In what ways, David, is it effective? Have you had success in your own classes? What strategies for instructional use did you find the most successful?

How can the use of an interactive white board heighten interaction with students?

The use of interactive white boards creates a student-centered learning environment rather than a student sitting passively listening to a lecture. The student is actively participating in the learning process.

How have you used the interactive white board specifically in your classes, Tearee?

The white board can be used to project resources that have been prepared before a class or it can be used to capture thoughts and ideas generated during class. It a great way to capture material for review at a later date or to make the material available to anyone who might not be present for the class period.

I have had great success by using the whiteboard to expound on a concept. It helps turn written text into visual ideas that can break down a complicated idea into smaller parts and pieces for greater depth of understanding on the part of the student

Concept-mapping is a great use of the interactive white board, Warren. Thank you for sharing that idea. The flexibility of this technology and its "distributive" characteristics mean that ideas and concepts can be deconstructed and then reconstructed collaboratively with students.

Yes, Donna, the interactive white board can engage more students throughout their learning process. It is a great use of the technology to capture and distribute and then recall what was captured to work through more ideas and concepts. It keeps the learning as a dynamic process, rather than static and closed.

To be honest technology aside, learning requires a commitment from both instructors and students. If a course is structured properly, with a correct learning progression, good resources and with involved and motivated students you will have success regardless of the technology. The technology is just a another facilitator or the information. The proper legwork must be done first in order to have success.

I've had just as much success with the technology as without.

What happens when you have a technical issue and you are too reliant on the technology?

I can remember days when I had to generate hard copy when a projector or the internet goes down.

You raise some important points, Jon. Yes, teaching and learning is a process with or without technology. Some of the kinds of situations you mention (and we know from experience) that when the learning environment is depending on anything it can be a challenge. I do think, however, that technology can now help us as instructors achieve some of the longer term kinds of skill development that have always been a challenge to instructors. Finding the most effective uses is key.

I agree. Just because it's electronic and fun to have and use, learners should confuse interactivity with retention of the basics of the subject matter. At what time does the level of learning get skewed through the misuse or overuse of emerging technology. Depending on how the student was raised, their high tech word may have involved a basic cell phone at best.

Sign In to comment