Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Well said, Donald! Yes, technology provides various tools and environments within which learning can take place. The choice, however, must be tied to the outcomes of a course rather than simply because a new technology is available. The challenge to instructors, however, is to keep on a learning curve as far as technology is concerned so that new tools can be explored on an ongoing basis.

We do not have an interactive White Board but we have a whiteboard in our live chat area through Adobe Connect. We can do polls, multiple choice questions, and a few other items through this medium. It works well during our chat time, but is not available once the chat has closed.

I’d have to say that our most successful form of a whiteboard is our discussion board (DB) threads as they are available 24/7. The use of the DB allows for all around learning as discussed in an earlier module. It is not focused on teacher to student but for everyone to get a chance to prove their points and support or contrast others through this medium. Some classes it is full of ideas and threads others it is the bare minimum to get by – Certain subjects like ethics gets the conversation rolling other subjects like intro to business is not as “entertaining”. For those types of classes we have to find questions that bring out real world issues to match their learning for the unit.

Great points here, Dawn. There are many online uses for WBs and discussions which, as you say, engage students at various levels with various points of interest in a course. The concept of an interactive WB is to capture dialogue and the flow of ideas as it occurs...either in a class or in real time online. Of course, then, those ideas can not only be captured but distributed to the entire group for further thinking.

Dr. Reynard,

At the basic level the interactive white board reminds me of my elementary school days (I'm dating myself) of being called to the chalk board to answer a math problem etc. The interactive white board takes this concept to another level. I find the senses (visual, hearing)are especially heightened. I believe if the brain were scanned during lectures where one used a dry erase board and one used an interactive white board, there would be a noticeable difference.

Good points, Angela. Yes the interactive white board encourages participation where "in the old days" we were passive in the process for the most part :) It also provides opportunity for capture and distribution of files which takes the learning beyond the classroom into the online context.

The use of an interactive white board can heighten interaction with students by utilizing features that a standard white board doesn’t have. I am interested in how the board manipulates images and showcase elements from the web. However, I do not feel the Smart Board should entirely replace traditional white board. I use the traditional white board for all hand written material because I find it faster than using a Smart Board. I feel that Smart Board should be used for the technological aspects it was designed for. It is wonderful for incorporating computer content into the classroom.

I like your focus on the outcomes, Kavita, in determining which technology to use. There is a Smart Symposium which is like an interactive tablet that makes things a little faster but, I agree, if you don't have things already prepared, it is sometimes easier to simply write on a board :) Of course a regular board cannot capture and distribute information and work as a smart board can, so again, outcomes should drive the tool use.

Concepts can be captured, dialogue is opened and conversations can start. Visually, graphics aid the interaction as well. Lastly, students are able to collaborate on content which can promote student involvement.

I agree, Alicia. The visual reinforcement of the collaborative process as well as the digital capture of it enriches teaching and learning incredibly.

In my online class we do have a separate whiteboard capability, but often times (as it is with technology!) it is "buggy" and doesn't always work correctly. I figured out a simple way to include a type of white board by creating my power points and leaving one slide completely blank. Then with the whiteboard overlay tools, I can add text as we go. The students love this! I'm able to create real interactivity with them that they are not used to in the online portion of a class. I ask pointed questions and expect a response from everyone. Then their answers are written on the blank slide for comparison, they can take notes, more ideas are stimulated, they build upon the ideas of others, etc. It's been great fun to use and very simple to implement in the Adobe Breeze classroom program.

Doing this also allows for using pictures. In my power points I insert lots of pictures for visual appeal as well as to stimulate ideas. The graphic may be quite simple, but it can help to generate more abstract, critical thinking. Then at other times it is just fun and keeps them engaged by breaking up the text. As I tell them, sometimes, all text no images is like a looooong, boring report written in slide format. :o) But at any rate, we go from a potentially boring whiteboard, to the blank slide which allows for pictures and the addition of text on the spot. They seem to really respond to that.

This is exactly where the blank power point slide works best. Even in the archives, the student listening and watching, can see the writing going on the slide, so even those that cannot attend the live chat, have a chance to see how the discussion progressed. This is contrary to the plain whiteboard, where information is not saved. It may seem overly simple, but it's a great trick that has multiple uses, vs. using our traditional Adobe whiteboard. I don't think I even knew we had a "real" whiteboard until after I made up the power point thing, lol

Well, I use this technology currently and I don't think that I can use it to its full potential in its current state. I usually do chats each week and post the assignments that are coming up, read through them and make comments and answer questions. The one thing I am not about is how interactive it is. I am assuming that by interactive we mean the students can also do something to add to what the instructor is doing. Perhaps they can be asked to do an exercise, write or draw something to demonstrate competency.

I will proceed with that assumption in mind. If this interactive white board is a tool that can be used to facilitate learning then the instructor would have to be creative in finding ways to get the students to use this tool for demonstration of their acquired knowledge, skills and abilities. For instance, if we were teaching a math class the student could be asked to come to the board (so to speak) and demonstrate a math problem. If we were conducting an English class, a sentence could be written and the students could make corrections.

The one issue I have found with the white board that I use is that it is very difficult to do anything but type on it. If you try to draw anything it is very cumbersome, clumsy and difficult to do. My drawings appear to be of cave man quality of perhaps that of a two year old. I probably just need to explore this tool more and figure out all of its uses. I have never really had a training class on all that. I have just figured it out myself. I will investigate and see what more I can use and how to be better with that tool. Thank you for the question and for getting me to think about it more deeply.

Good points, Bryan. I agree with the lack of agility sometimes with the tools available for the interactive white board, however, also think that the level of interaction can be quite intense and effective. Of course, screen capture and share technology can also generate the same type of interaction, however, interactive white boards are a good place to start for more traditional instructors who "think" using a board and can still do that but include students along the way. The technology is also always being updated and will get better...

Yes, Theresa, to the innovative and creative teacher there are ways to make even the most unlikely of technologies or hardware interactive for students. The interactive white board, however, provides a great place to meet teachers in a comfort zone and to also move the interaction with students and among students to a higher level. Good ideas!

If used correctly, the white board is a excellent teaching medium, I don't feel that many students and instructors take full advantage of the white board. When they do it can be a great collaboration of learning and can help many different types of learning styles due to the visual nature of it.

Hi Patricia,
Yes both online and in-class interactive white boards can increase the levels of student engagement incredibly and can also provide opportunity for "capture and distribute" so that teaching moments are not lost. I do agree that most teachers do not maximize the potential of this technology when teaching.

Ruth, the use of a white board will accommodate both your kinesthetic and visual learners...because they will see the information being presented, and use their computer to access the white board, etc... and if you describe the content you have on the white board orally, you will have accommodated the three dominant learning styles, in your presentation.

Mike Crowley

The whiteboard allows the student the opportunity to see changes as the professor makes them and if the student recommends something the professor can show interactivley the results of the student suggestion.

Indeed - the interactive white board provides a wonderful opportunity for students to interact with every aspect of course material and all participants ...and have that interaction captured and distributed beyond the actual class.

Great points, Michael. Learning styles and learning outcomes are well supporting by this flexible technology.

Sign In to comment