Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I wish our college used White Board after reading the posts here, I am very envious!

The white board is new for me. I am still trying to get beyond the basics in using it but I do see alot of stimulating potential with it.

Carlos,
If you have a chance to practice with an interactive white board, you will see its capabilities and usefulness in a class context.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Hello Dr. Reynard,

I will be honest with you, I have never used the whiteboard so I have no stories to share. I will make that my next goal.

Thanks
Ruby

Ruby,
Moving forward with the interactive whiteboard for either on ground or online is significant in capturing and distributing discussions, brainstorming sessions, and connections.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

White Boards are great to use; other way to be interactive with students. I learned a good tip recently with white boards; if you accidentally use a permanent marker to go over it with a dry erase marker and it will take it off. it worked!

Randa,

Thanks for the tip :) Yes, these boards can help use breakdown the content and capture teachable moments for distribution and review later.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

We can use the whiteboard to breakdown complex concepts and to present challenging content in a fun way. We can also use content to stimulate student learning by asking questions.

Erina ,

Do you have any specific examples from your subject area where the white board has really helped the learning process?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I have found that the use of an interactive whiteboard has generated more topic pertinent conversations while simultaneously getting more students involved in the classroom discussions. We all know that every student has a different learning type. Some students are very independent and will lead a discussion or their own learning for that matter. There are those that need to be guided in order to contribute, and then there are students who are more reserved with their learning. The whiteboard has brought all of these students together and allows for visual representation of what I am teaching (aiding the visual learners), while also generating more thought stimulating dialogue between students and myself as the instructor. I have to admit that wasn’t too sure about this new technology when it first came out and it took a little while for me to get used to it before “going live.” Once I felt more comfortable with its capabilities and the reaction from the students, I myself built more confidence in the use of this tool.

Jennifer,
Great points! Actually, the strong discursive students can also benefit as sometimes they miss the building blocks of their thinking that have been contributed by others in the group. The capture feature provides for this and captures everyone's contributions.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I use an interactive white board often when conducting my lectures. They can provide information and you can use the information to obtain feedback from students. I like to write tables with the whiteboard and this can provide the foundation of data that we can use for discussions. I also like using the pencil in whiteboards to make connections between course concepts.

I think interactive white boards may promote collaboration in certain types of courses because students may present alternative methods of "solving" problems that are presented. I would think this to be true in certain types of science or mathematics course where different solutions might be available for the same problem. In other types of courses such as law related courses, a white board might be used to indicate possible "cause and effect" possibilities such as in the case of a discussion about negligent torts.

Edward,

Yes, very true. The capture and distribute functionality is so helpful with students.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

In my online chat sessions, I use the white board to help students brainstorm, develop thesis statements, outline ideas, and provide feedback to each other during the online class discussion.

Hi Stacey,

I agree! I believe the interaction with the white board encourages more class discussion and encourages them to ask questions. Also, when their input is considered valuable, they are motivated to engage more in the learning process.

Cynthia,
I would love for you to share your methods and uses of the Smartboard in the teaching forum which I facilitate in the Faculty Lounge :)

Dr. Ruth Reynard

These are fantastic for developing and monitoring the process of ideas being developed in class.

The ability to interact with students in different ways is greatly enhanced with the new tools that we have. Interactive white boards can allow different collaboration approaches to problem solving. I think that using them in a more collaborative approach, rather than the "teacher-driven" approach can be more effective at times.

David,
Very true - I agree. Also, to be able to capture and distribute the activity helps with review and ongoing learning.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment