Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Lanny,
Great points! I agree...also the capture and distribution functionality means that the learning can extend beyond the moment and can be modified and adjusted as more learning takes place.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The whiteboard helps create increased interaction between students and the instructor. Students are actively involved in the learning process through the board and as a result are more excited.

Nicholas,
I agree and also provides opportunity for interactions and discussions to be captured and distributed. This, in turn, provides extended opportunity for engagement and ongoing learning beyond the actual class times.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

We can use the interactive white board for a more collaborative way of interaction, more student driven. Having student ideas valued and bringing them to the table for everyone to learn is crucial. Thinking will not be confined to just one learning space. Let them take the driving wheel to some point and help them bring the knowledge together when they can't see the links in between.

Dr. Reynard,

Interactive white board technology tools encourage, support, and enhance the student learning process.

Students are more engaged and more motivated to learn. They are able to share, discuss, and collaborate using the benefits of digital technology.

Moreover, educators can effectively assess student learning and progress. At the end, it is a win-win situation for everyone!

-Khal

Elin,
Yes, and capturing the interaction and thought processes are all excellent in support of the learning process...capture and distribute can totally change the process for students.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Khal,
I agree - they can be the board on the wall in a classroom or online via a chat or meeting software. Either way, this technology has the capability of capturing discussions and thought logic and then it can be distributed to the students for further thinking and discussion.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

They have the ability to interact and contribute to the discussion or lecture.

Penelope,

Very true, however, the full capacity this technology has in capture and distribution means that the learning can continue outside the class meeting and also in supporting online sessions or fully online as well.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Great point, Dr. Ruth!

This has been my problem in many cases. However, now that I have access to Zoom, I love the interactivity it provides, as I can screen share to show how to do APA formatting for example. I find students become more engaged with this if we as instructors know how to use all the "bells and whistles" a program such as this provides. However, as you mentioned, many times we are so overwhelmed with preparing classes, grading, tutoring etc., it becomes hard to learn how to operate many of the new technologies we could be using to interact and engage more of our students.

It can heighten interaction with students because we can involve them by asking poll questions, or for example, asking them to use a pointer and place a symbol by a correct answer, etc. It makes learning fun! :)

Coleen,
These are great points. Any tool that engages students and heightens the interactivity is crucial for online students.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Coleen,
Very true - quick polls are a great way to find out the knowledge gaps and to immediately engage students.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

It's a tool for communicating-it's one part of the classroom experience.

Travis,

Yes, it can be, however, there are also the same kinds of tools in fully online as well. These tools help to engage students and create content as students interact and participate. It also helps to capture and distribute these learning connections and moments.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Students love the interaction with the white board and being able to see their input on the screen.

Some, throgh kinestics may be the only way they can learn. Students only retain 30% of what they hear. It is through application that the skills in which they are being exposed to can be utlized and retained. The whiteboard in the online environment is the best place for this to happen. In which ways have you integrated the whiteboard to enhance your courseroom?

Lisa,

Also the capability this technology has for capture and distribution means that online, blended, and on ground can all benefit from the asynchronous interaction.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Richard,
I agree...great points! Yes, all input skills as well as output skills are engaged using this technology.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

It helps bring in collaboration and interesting technology.

With it you can move more efficiently while educating.

Sign In to comment