Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Great questions, Steven, which is why the use of new technology supports the learning process, however, the learning still needs to be demonstrated and applied. This should be designed into the overall instruction and assessments. The demonstration can also be supported by technology but it must be driven by learning outcomes and the design of the instruction itself.

use of technology in education can be very beneficial and facilitate explorative learning.

Yes, indeed, Clive. Can you give us some examples of how this happens? Perhaps some ways in which you have seen success in using instructional technology with your classes.

I feel it would be like most things we deal with on a daily basis, when implemented properly it could probably touch on the learning styles better

I think the white board is a very useful tool and does a great job of enhancing student learning. All of the senses can become engaged simultaneously stimulating cognitive, psychomotor, and affective learning at the same time. But the instructor must plan, select the best way to present the contetn and be comfortable in navigating the board. The only drawback is when the electricity suddenly shuts off unexpectantly.

Good comments, Larry. Yes, there is always the need for plan B when using any form of technology :) Often teachers use the smartboard as an enriched projection screen only, rather than for the interactive and collaborative functions you refer to.

As a math instructor, the use of a whitboard can be an effective tool to help engage students and heighten interaction. Highlighting formulas, displaying graphs and annotating charts are just a few ways students can become engaged in a math lecture with the use of a white board.

I agree in most cases. I teach welding though. The only way to learn how to do it is to go weld. All of the technology and computers in the world can't change that.

Great point, Jasen. My thinking is that the technology can provide ongoing learning outside the welding sessions, however, to where the hands on sessions are more effective. Would you agree?

We do not have this style of white board but I have used it in an interactive way. I have had students go to the board to draw out circuits or systems that we may be talking about. I may even project images on the whtie board and "trace" or diagram out something we are working on. Having the students go to the board is used rarely as some students do not function well in the spot light.

I use the white board on a daily basis. I can bring students up to let them interact with me and the class and now the have a little bit of hands on as well.

An interactive whiteboard might be useful in watching the students research information. Other students can see how to navigate, while others help in the navigation proccess. As an Instructor I would be able to see more clearly how the students thought proccess is developing and help guide struggling students

I my class room i use the white boards to bring the lecture alive and get the students involved in the class as well.

So with the interactive white board, John, the thoughts and input of the students can still be captured and integrated into the learning environment without bringing the "spot light" to the student.

Sounds great, Jackie. Can you share any specific examples of how you do this?

Indeed, Ken. It is a tool in visual as well as concept processing. I would encourage you to try it out with your students sometime.

I have found that the use of my interactive whiteboard in my teaching has increased my students participation tremendously. They feel like they are part of the learning because it touches on their thirst for inclusion. It took time and practice for me to feel comfortable, but once I saw how much it affected the excitement level of my students, it gave me motivation and encouragement to step out of my comfort zone and learn everything I could.

Along with the addition of clickers, my students look forward to class review time.We have a game that helps them to have immediate feedback on they discussions and questions.

How can the use of an interactive white board heighten interaction with students?

Interactive white boards can heighten student interaction creating a holistic learning environment. Not like the traditional chalkboard where the teacher controlled the content, interactive whiteboards allows the classroom to move from a two dimensional lesson, to a collaborative interactive event.

Using blue tooth capable projector, the student can use his/her tablet/PC and remotely display date on the board; thus, removing the instructor as a sole source of information to a conduit for facilitating the flow of data exchange. The interactive whiteboard will enhance the holistic learning environment, thus promoting the processes of learning.

Thanks, Walter. This is a good summary of the capabilities of the technology and the impact on teaching and learning. Heightened interactivity increases student engagement. Also, the collaborative potential maximizes the use of this technology in establishing communities of learners among students.

I only have a standard dry-erase board but I have inserted diagrams into my powerpoints that project onto the dry-erase board at appropriate times and students come up and color the proper routing of components or wires or hose diagrams. I imagine this could be even better with a smart board.

Sign In to comment