Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I find computer mediation has opened new expeditions in online learning as the delivery method of media outlets and information i.e., online chat sessions, instant messaging, blogs, webinars, asynchronous, synchronous and the list goes on and on. The most interesting aspects is that it does not all need to derive from the instructor but it is a shared effort between, faculty-staff, administration, instructors and students.

Mike

Michael,
Very true - the technology opens up to all kinds of information, sources, and experts. The challenge is then for students to learn how to identify the best and most useful resources and the most accurate and legitimate information. My sense is that users are more aware now and know which kinds of questions to ask before using information.....at least advancement has been made.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I think the internet has helped a bit with the different types of learners. I have taught at different schools online where the "lecture" material was uploaded in various formats. Video lectures, transcripts of the lectures, plain audio, etc give students options for their learning preference. That is pretty different from the old standard in-person lecture.

I think the scaffolding method also goes in line with that idea anf the internet facilitates scaffolding in a course through links to web articles, blogs, videos, etc. That are pertinent to the course.

I think the internet has also just provided other forms of communication to give more opportinities for students and instructors to connect: IM, Skype, webinars, discussion threads, etc.

Josh,
Good points! Yes, so while the technology provides direct access to so much more information than could ever be covered in a conventional lecture, the instructor should still guide and support the process with additional resources and learning activities.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The Internet has allowed the opportunity for greater interaction between student and instructor. It is a good means for student engagement by providing a dynamic environment where students not only learn from the instructor, but from other students. Having the ability to embed links for additional resources online provide another avenue to learn.

Jacquilin,

Great points! Yes, the Internet provides many new opportunities for student engagement but it also requires those possibilities to be included in the instructional design and valued with a percentage of the grade.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Internet is used as a means of supplementing the lectures. I give the students the freedom to search material that relates to the objective of the class and incorporate to it as means to enhance their knowledge.

Gerardo,
Research and exploration are really successful strategies in developing self-direction and learner autonomy. Good points!

Dr. Ruth Reynard

For students who are more introverted or withdrawn, the internet provides them a way to be involved in a class in a virtual setting instead of having to participate in a live action classroom. This makes them more comfortable and willing to speak up. The internet has also allowed students who learn differently a way to experience learning with different methods.

Sarah,
Yes, I agree. The immediacy and directness of the technology provides opportunity for students to be involved who might usually stay distant from the learning process. Good points!

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The Internet's UNLIMITED information available at ANY time is opening the door for students to discover their own style of learning whether through video links, wikipedia, other student's blogs, etc... The student now has access beyond the teacher's input and the course content.

It will be interesting to see how the Internet paired with the new technology of Ipads and Smart phones will effect student learning. I am already seeing more students access the Internet and class information via their phones and ipads.

I wonder if 'unlimited Internet information' AND 'unstructured highly flexible learning environments' will lead our students become more insightful, knowledgeable & self-disciplined OR more scattered & unable to focus in-depth on any subject(since they can google anything when they need it) ??? Time will tell, right ?

Lauree,
I agree - god points! We are, however, still confined by conventional standards and regulations. I think our challenge is to support student learning and knowledge building processes while still meeting current standards. That's why instructional designs must be flexible.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The ability to share easily information across a wide variety of mediums. I can tweet about an article appears on a public site and share that with my students, or direct them to live lecture that might be streamed online. Of course, I can create and distribute my own helpful videos and tutorials as well.

-Valerie Thompson

Valerie,

Great examples! So, customization of learning, collaboration of effort, and self-directed production of new information makes new technology so powerful as providing tools in a new way to learn and apply directly to a context of use.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The availability of information is huge. I have 3 masters degrees and did not actually enter the door of a library. This is in contrast to my Bachelors degree (1969) where I would spend all nighters in the library

Jim,
Love it! Great example and it is wonderful that you have experienced that level of "virtual" learning. Yes, I too remember the shock when I returned to education in the 90s after graduating my bachelors in the early 80s - what happened to the library cards?? ...and really that wasn't too long ago :)

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The internet has opened up an abundant number of opportunities to explore the creativity of the teaching process. The use of multimedia to stimulate and engage the student has provided the teacher the tools and the ability to generate lesson plans that go well beyond the typical teacher-to-student lecture.

The internet has also given the student the flexibility to communicate with the teacher in a variety of ways. Distance, lack of mobility, or other disabilities no longer become barriers to receiving an education.

Lanny,

Great points! So the Internet has opened up communication, interaction, engagement, delivery of content, customization and production of content. For sure it can support a much more dynamic learning environment than conventional classes.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The internet allows instructors to engage students beyond the old fashion instructional method of lecturing to students. I love to incorporate videos on the topics my students are learning about into the course. Sites such as youtube make this quick and easy to do. I also have utilized tools I've found on the internet, such as crossword puzzle creators or game show (Family Feud, Jeopardy etc.) creators to develop fun learning tools for my students. Holding a live game show in class is something they really seem to enjoy!

Ellen,
Great examples! Yes, some interactive tools and activities can really raise the engagement in class .... most content can now be delivered online so that no one should be lecturing anymore.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment