Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

An example of a specific change that the Internet has brought to computer mediation of the instructional process is that the student has the freedom to access the course content, such as lecture material at ANY hour. This provides a very flexible learning environment. Another advantage is that said information is documented fully. In other words, instead of hearing a lecture verbally, it is in text, enabling you to gather notes at your own pace.

Indeed, Alicia, the flexibility of time and space is great for students and the permanent nature of digital capture and distribution. It also makes modifications much easier for instructors.

Hello to all! My name is Teresa. I think I jumped ahead to the wrong forum, so I'm back starting probably where I should, lol Glad to be among you.

That is really one of the best facets I see Tomi, so I whole heartedly agree with you. I have students from all over the world. In fact, I created a time conversion chart for my online students so they'd have no excuses about missing live chats due to time zone confusion ;)

The ability to discuss different cultures, religious practices, health care policies, just life experiences period, has really been enriched by the internet uniting us globally. This can only lead, well hopefully lead, to more appreciation of diversity, more tolerance of differences and personal enrichment for students who otherwise would never have the opportunity to talk or interact with someone of another country or even state!

I also think the internet gives students who would not be able to tolerate or have access to traditional brick and mortar schools a chance to get an education. I have many disabled students. Honestly, some of them may never finish their degrees or academic programs, but I do believe their lives are enriched anyway. Perhaps it gives them a feeling of being a part of the world, when prior to that they felt alone and disconnected.

I love the internet! Not just for education but for all types of activities and functions. I only wish it was around when I was going through my education.

Great points, Teresa. There are many students, otherwise marginalized, who now have a chance to learn and there are also increasing opportunities for instructors to learn to teach to all students, whatever their life situation or challenges - teaching students they may never otherwise have had the opportunity to teach.

As instructors we tend to focus on the students and their needs. I like the way you include the instructors as well. Point well taken and stated!

Hi Theresa,
Yes education should always be looked at form three different perspectives:
teachers, students, and curricula (which includes mediative tool and technology). Thinking through this integrated lens helps to provide the various perspectives needed to truly deliver effective education and to eveluate well.

Hello - It removes many barriers from location to disabilites for people to learn and interact that may have never met before or learned from each other in a traditional classroom setting.

I think it bring people together, if used in the correct way, some people use the computer to remove themselves from society, but for online learners, they embrace web communication.

Instructors also have to learn how to teach without face to face communication, which so many people rely on.

Good points, Patricia. I agree that there is so much flexibility with the Internet that more people may have the opportunity to learn. The challenge, however, is with institutions and study programs to make learning more accessible and not cause unnecessary barriers with older methods of organization and delivery.

The Interenet has chnaged the learning environement by making the ability to learn, interact, and research a 24/7/365 opportunity. No longer does a student have to see if the libbrary is open or a professor is in the office. The internet brings flexibility, mobility, and capability to the student.

Very true, Francis. The Internet has truly revolutionized how we teach and learn, except that many teachers have still to really maximize the potential of the technology with their students.

Ruth, I agree that we all had those reservations about online learning when we were first getting started teaching online... and I really like your point related to the fact that you can have more in-depth communication with your students, when communicating with them online/asynchronously.

Mike Crowley

I think the key word in your question, Ruth, is "mediation" ...and from 1999 to 2003 I served as the director of information technology for a six- college public system of higher education in a very rural part of the US...and the ability of online courses to the residents who lived in these remote areas, was critical.

The fact that these remote learners could acquire new skills via online courses, greatly increased their "employability"...so we need to remember that the benefits of computer mediation travel well past the classroom walls.

Mike Crowley

Indeed, Michael. I would say that students learn much more than we might expect when using new technology. We should, as teachers, reward that learning as well.

Yes, Michael. I heard that from students as well as my own observations...much more direct and immediate interactions are possible online.

before the internet there were encyclopedia and how to books when was the last time you saw a commercial for Batannical Junior Encyclopedia 25 years maybe more? The internet opened a whole new world up to every one. Not just the families that could afford the books. The internet still has it's problems but as far as receiving information it is great. You can see how it has changed the world in education.

I agree, Cecil, and the directness of the connection means that instructors can be more focused on the learning process than providing every aspect of the content. This increases learner autonomy, which is an important goal in higher education.

Hi Ruth,
The addition of the Internet to the instructional process has exponentionally increased the availability of information sources and potential learning activities. I am finding that there are a multitude of opportunities to approach subjects in new ways. As a relatively new Ground Based instructor, I find the scope of possibilities a little overwhelming.

Yes, it can seem overwhelming at times, LE. I would suggest that the way forward is to concentrate on helping students develop the kinds of skills that will help them research, organize, manage, apply and reproduce the information for themselves. The "teaching them how to fish..." kind of approach.

There are two big changes; first the ability to have more than one expert, and the second is that the students do not need to be local to the instructor. The Internet has brought such a wealth of resources that the limits to instructional process is now a product of both student and teacher imagination.

-Chris

I love yoru first point, Chrisopher, as it completely opens up the context of learning. Of course, as you sa,y flexibility is also a great benefit. How about what the Internet can actually do to expand and support the instructional process?

Sign In to comment