Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I believe that the main changes are: 1)reduction of geographic limitations; 2)compression of time; 3) and availability of resources. The Internet has made feedback, tutoring and other assessment and support systems related to the instructional process possible; flexibility and variety have enhanced learner learning and retention.
Samia

Hi John,
Your cruises sound great :) Yes, I can remember DOS before Windows and how tedious it was to code in every command! The Internet does provide interaction and connectivity that can enhance any learning environment. The other great thing about the Internet is that it creates a published environment and encourages participation at a much higher level as a result.

That's true too Ruth with the new advances in technology with wiki's and blogs!

John

I agree with numbers one and three Samia!

I'm not sure what 'compression of time' means in this context?

Thanks!

John

Yes, Samia, certainly the Internet has provided the potential for more efficiency in the learning experience. I would also suggest that it has provided instructors with an incredible instructional tool to truly work with students differently - collaborating in ways never before possible.

I'm taking it to mean efficiency of time...that is many online courses and programs take less time to complete than traditional courses. Am I correct, Samia? If not, please clarify...thanks :)

Right you are Ruth and added to that the ability to respond and give feedback in real time regardless of time zone differentials.
Samia

Yes, very true, Samia,....and now with mobile technology, we really can be continuously connected, which eliminates even more barriers of time and space.

Samia - I have to agree that the Internet has offered so much more for distance learning compared to the old correspondence courses. Being one who has taught for many different universities online, and was an online student myself, I have seen the differences in instructional modalities. Some are strictly facilitators (emails & grading papers), and others are full time professorships with live lectures, discussion boards, emails, phone calls, and instant messaging modalities to ensure students get instructional support in any means necessary.

One thing my students always bring up when we discuss technology in my class and that is, "I never thought I'd see the day I could take my classes on a computer & have a live professor at the same time".

Go technology :-)
Respectfully,
Dawn

Right you are Dawn; it is quite amazing what technology has made possible. Students absolutely gravitate to it - depending on their experienc - and have become quite savvy at blaming that same technology for a multitude of woes.
I am so glad technology has made it possible for us to teach,learn, reach and share our passion with folks all over the world.
Samia

Yes, good points, Dawn. Not all distance courses are the same and have varying degrees of immediacy. The potential is there, however...

The use of the internet has been very meaningful for me and has added much to my teaching capabilities. Technology has allowed me to reach and teach students in a very dynamic way by bringing all my resources to bear in an in depth manner in my courses. I am able to give students more information and show them how to positively integrate this info into their learning process.

Yes, Sloan, and perhaps one of the most surprising benefits I have found is the "immediacy" which the technology brings to the learning environment - direct connection, interactive choices, and self publishing...all of which add so many rich aspects to student learning.

I think the module was right on with the statement that computer technology should be a “meditative or interceptive technology in the learning process.” Too often students themselves assume that the computer replaces not only the teacher but other essential learning processes, like visiting a library or using sources other than the internet. The use of technology as well as the computer as forever changed instruction and teaching. For instance, veteran teachers often find themselves in situations where they are told that they must utilize specific technologies in instruction even if the technology does not benefit students. My concern is that the technology like the instruction and learning must be relevant and applicable. Though there are advantages there are also disadvantages to the use of computer technology in the instructional process.

I agree, Dianne. The problem is, however, that technology is changing so quickly and it takes time to explore benefits to instruction. Therefore, we often don't realize the full potential of the technology immediately. That is why I encourage current instructors to keep an open mind and be willing to continually try new technology in their classes and bring students into the exploration :)

That is so true Ruth and many veteran professors remain closed to the possibilities.

Speaking from personal experience, I've found the internet has tremendously broadened the entire education experience. The learner has more choices concerning instruction than ever before. When I was deployed I was able to continue my studies even though I was half way around the world.

Yes, Angela, access and flexibility are the essence of Internet technology. I would also suggest that customization and self authoring are among the characteristics that will continue to evolve the technolgy into the future.

I love to use the Internet as a means of supplementing my lectures. Adding in video clips from YouTube really seems to strike a chord with the students. It allows to incorporate material that they can relate to. There is also a website called www.polleverywhere.com that allows students to submit feedback during class sessions via text message or Twitter. This gives students the freedom to use technology in the classroom and keep the anonymity of responses.

Yes, Tricia, and the great thing about the Internet is the self-authoring capability. That is, not only can you, as an instructor, incorporate videos from YouTube (which is current and interesting to students) but students can also create and publish their own videos on YouTube for use in the course and beyond.

Sign In to comment