Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Dr. Ruth!

Thank you for your reply! You would think, but I have had it (new cell phone) nearly a year and still have not had time to learn more than I already know. ;)

Coleen

Coleen,
I certainly know that for me, I email pay bills, interact with students and family and so many others things :)

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The Internet has provide many opportunities to use technology many students today use on a daily basis such as social media. This allows students to be more comfortable with the ‘environment’ used for classes and not ‘challenged’ by the technology. For some students the use of the various types of presentations such as ‘how to videos’ or online practice from publishers’ sites or even the use of case studies from open universities.

Thanks,
Cynthia

Cynthia,
Good points! Yes, the use of the Internet is quite throughout all of life these days :) I also agree that social media is changing the familiarity students have with technology, but we should realize as instructor, it is also changing their expectations of learning communities as well.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The internet gives me instantaneous material including videos, hard data, illustrations, and images-all of which are teaching/learning materials. It also serves as a search and informational resource for my students.

Travis,
Very true but of course, the challenge for instructors is to guide students in their use of the information they find as to which is legitimate and which might not be useful. The readiness of access to information, however, does mean that we can design learning activities very differently and also increase the potential for critical thinking and application.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I think using videos in class has been a wonderful tool. From either youtube or facebook.

From Enclyclopida Britancia to Wikipedia. We have come a long way. The age of the interent has widely affected how knowledge is consumed and how information is relayed. Today I learned about Ted Talks. What a wonderful tool that can be utilzed as common knowledge. How do you use the interent aside from being a medium to enhance learning?

Lisa,
Yes, using video helps to bring more of an interactive environment within which students learn more effectively.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Richard,
I agree that the Internet has made access possible to information on just a out any subject or topic area.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The internet allows you to bring in individuals from all over the world and discuss topics. It is also available 24/7.

There are few limits in the online environment.

Jeremy,

Very true which enriches the learning environment incredibly.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I think it is great for students to have an opporunity to participate in online GoToMeetings. Students are able to interact and exhange with students from all over the world.

Aneesah

Aneesah,
Yes, I agree. It enriches the student experience to connect with people and content around the world. Instructors, however, should be ready to guide that process as well as integrate it somehow into the overall course outcomes and design.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

There are many changes that the internet has brought about in the instructional process. It has made it easier for students to get an education, which in turn has increased school revenue. It has made it easier for students to take exams, but this has a negative side effect that there may be students who use test questions and answers that are available on the internet. Although academics tend to deride such behavior, the good news is that individuals are training to the tests, and may even be learning the material better than their predecessors. Certainly, people are waking up, and questioning authority more frequently. Students may be developing greater understanding and independence of thought because the answers are almost universally available. It is just a thought.

Donald L. Buresh

Donald,
Good points! Yes, fully online tests can develop certain additional skills in students but are not always the best option for increasing actual content knowledge.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

So many changes! What immediately leaps to mind are the advances in synchronous learning; whereas at one time the student would truly miss all interaction with the instructor by not being able to attend in person, the Internet now allows us to interact with students via instant messaging and Live Chat sessions in real time. These are crucial in terms of adding an immediacy to the course content as well as the overall presence of the instructor. While email is a great supplement, being able to have a least some instantaneous feedback from the instructor is critical.

Introducing the use of the internet into the classroom has allowed to students the ability to conduct valid research on projects from the convenience of the classroom. This has worked well for me in group project settings as well as brainstorming sessions. The challenge has been teaching the students what constitutes a scholarly resource.

@rreynard

On the one hand, the internet has added a vast resource for students to find information, engage in different learning techniques such as animations, games or videos, and even share their successes and failures.

On the other hand, the internet has opened the door to widespread plagiarism. Students may post their work to "help" websites, or exchange one of their assignments for access to other students' essays. Students can purchase papers online as well -- or even hore an individual to write an original paper for them.  In addition, it is very simple to copy and paste material from any website and incorporate into a written report as a student's own original work.

Sign In to comment