Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

You are making a very good point. There are many restrictions online (e.g. discussion board threads), but with the advances in technology hopefully many will go away. A few years back I was only able to post plain text on the discussion board but now media clips and clip art can be uploaded.

The internet has modernized classrooms by making them more interactive. Students can now be engaged on many different levels.
Audio books, e-books and video clips are not simply supplements in learning but allow for accommodation of different learning styles. In several of my online classes I made a lot of progress by providing short five-minute YouTube videos explaining major IT concepts.

robert,
Good points - there are new norms in the on ground classroom now as well as the online environment.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I use the internet to show current events and how they apply to the mathematical world. We look at financial information, housing trends, stock market trends, interest rates, etc. When my student realize how important math actually is to their financial future, they show much more interest and active participation.

Charlotte,
Very good points! Yes, once students see the point to their education, they will do better. Also, direct access to information keeps things relevant and efficient.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The internet is a resourceful tool that has helped instructors teach topics in a very dynamic way. Not only does it help with teaching and learning but also with assessment.

This is a great idea. I have done this in the classroom as well. I sometimes have social media shy students who wish to protect their virtual identities. They do not want to be perceived negatively by an employer so they are afraid to post to social media. Does anyone else have this problem?

Dawn,
I would love to hear more about the assessment aspect you mention - please post something in the Instructional Forum in the Faculty Lounge.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The ability to access content 24/7, For the Instructor to update/change content, add content that is relevant, add interactive scenarios to the class/lesson.

QUINTIN,
Yes, which means that with flexible design, customization to student needs is always a possibility.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

On the positive side it has provided limitless information to students and the classroom. It has drastically changed the methods of research that we used to know like searching through encyclopedias and various books. It has given students an opportunity to learn quickly and easily compared to traditional methods and proven to be an outstanding learning tool. On the negative side it gives students an opportunity to plagiarize and cut corners when doing research. It is too easy to copy and paste text from the internet into a term paper.

It has changed the way we learn, deliver, and assess student work. It is a great asset as long as it is not abused.

Robert,
Good points! There are good and bad situations that emerge for students as a direct result of this technology. However, helping students find and use legitimate information has always been a role of teachers - it is just more intense now :)

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I think that the Internet has brought the computer to the student as a more dynamic version of distance education. By that, I mean today's online and virtual classroom is much more personal, and individually adaptable than the "correspondence courses" of yesteryear. I remember taking distance learning course in some of my undergrad subjects. It involved faxing, mailing and waiting sometimes weeks to get feedback from my instructor. The Internet has removed those barriers and made the connection between instructor and student almost instantaneous. This allows for a better flow of exchange between instructor and student and quicker turnaround time for feedback.

Virginia,
Yes, newer technology has provided a more direct and rich exchange in learning. This has changed both instructor and student expectations and potential for effective engagement in teaching and learning.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I think the internet has broadened the way we think about the learning process, in general. When I was a young kid in school, computers and the world wide web were just used for general purposes like microfiche and quicker access to the Dewey decimal system. These days, the internet has almost made those things obsolete! It is changing the way we deliver instruction and the amount of resources we can access to learn. Remember the days when you would go to a library to checkout a book but couldn't because someone beat you to it?! Internet makes access to all kinds of information much more readily available, anywhere and at any time. The possibilities it offers are endless!

Mia,
Very true...this also must change how we design our instruction and how we partner with our students in the process.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I have been teaching online for 10 years now and I have 5 years experience in a brick and mortar institution. The online experience has demonstrated how I can use a variety of teaching methods and technologies not available in the on-ground classroom. The ability to communicate with students around the clock helps bring them new understanding of the materials and benefits their education tremendously.

Kurt,
Do you see any changes to your on ground students' expectations because of new technology...even if you're not using it in the course?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The biggest change/challenge I find from the internet is the plethora of information that students can 'borrow' for assignments. I have found many plagiarized essays due to previous students posting essay questions on 'ask.com' or other similar forums. I find that I spend much of my time in early classes teaching students how to research and cite their resources rather than on core content. It can get very frustrating.
Melissa

Melissa,
Yes, I agree. The area of information literacy is a huge challenge for current students. If you have a good librarian nearby, he/she can help with this as well.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment