Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think the biggest issue is content. I am sitting here this morning developing a new course we are planning on offering online and while I have textbooks, graphics, and the knowledge I love being able to refer students to online reference sources for videos, project demonstrations, and more. The more ways of learning I bring to students the better chance I have of reaching all of them.

-Chris

I agree, Chris. Content does not need to be "packaged" as in the earlier days of distance learning but students shoudl be given access to various resources and equipped with skills to know how to organize, summarize, and apply the information to their own learning. This completely changes the conventional idea of course content. How has this "opened up" the teaching possibilities with your students?

I tend to self-pace students more and more, I tend to use web resources, and web videos. But, more than that I can't do yet for political reasons.

Great ideas...the main point is that students can be given the opportunity to self-direct and achieve learner autonomy.

The internet has allowed students access to vasts amounts of resources.This gives students even more control over their learning experience.

Hi Stephanie,
Yes, students have direct access to information, and as a result, much more control over the learning experience. How do you feel this challenges conventional ideas about the role of the teacher?

The connection of teacher and student through the use of computer technology, the Internet, allows for the exchange of information in ways not previously possible. There can be a simultaneous two way transmissions of ideas, no longer limited to brief sentences or paragraphs, which can be fully multimedia experiences. A simple typed report of the past can now include charts, tables, pictures, animation, music, and video. Without limits on when communications can take place, or the amount of communication, there is a real possibility of information overload. For example, a research paper can have many hyperlinks to other documents or web sites, which may have additional hyperlinks or bibliographies. The teacher must put bounds upon, or guide, the students learning experiences to ensure that the course content and objectives are satisfied. With the students having a wide range of communication options, such as blogs, wikis, chat sessions, synchronous discussions, asynchronous discussions, e-mail, and communication web sites (myspace, facebook, youtube, etc.), the learning environment can become overwhelming. When using search engines, students may have difficulty focusing their research and can get distracted from their tasks because there may be too many choices and too much information available. The teacher must ensure that the students remain focused on the course, while allowing them to explore areas of interest and maximize their learning opportunities.

Bill Lembke

Good discussion of ideas here, Bill. In your practice, what strategies have you implemented to ensure that students stay on task while exploring various technology tools?

Speaking from experience, the implementing of the internet in a previous class I have taken, made huge strides in my understanding of the course. We only had about an hour class time, and this usually meant the instructor was lecturing almost the whole time, leaving little time for questions. The online tutorial went hand in hand with the lectures and provided a step by step process of breaking down subjects, small quizzes, etc. The best part was that it was at my pace. Couldn't have done without out, now that I have experienced the process.

Yes, Jason, the flexibility and customizing capabilities are strong benefits of using the Internet in instruction. Given that, how do you think this challenges teachers in designing and delivering instruction?

Computers have not only changed the ways we teach, but the way we live. The charactreistics of being an insrtuctor have come out of the book and onto the screen. We have instant access to any information and training we could ever ask for. We can create new situations for students to learn from, as well as them being able to interact with each other.

How do you think these developments have challenged more comventional teaching methods, Thomas?

As our campus is moving more in the direction of web based learning I feel it gives much more flexibility to the student to fit his studies into his life. He doesnt any longer change his schedule. He still has the task of finding and using the time to get all his research and assignments complete in time.

It has opened up much more information at your finger tips. But, we always need to be aware of copyright infringment while instructing at a for profit school.

Yes, copyright issues are critical and often instructors do not take the necessary precautions with Internet resources and material. Do you think this is something that could help students learn to be more intentional about sources and referencing adequately?

This is true, Marvin, however, students are challenged differently when provided with flexible options. What do you think some of these might be?

It is nice to be able to use the internet to reinforce what you are teaching,find a more defind way of showing the students your point.info that maybe more informative than your class books.

Yes, Sidney, and open up the horizon vastly for students. Do you think this has changed how you create/design and evaluate assignments?

We see many examples of internet “facts”. I think the greatest challenge will be helping the student sort through information and determine what is accurate and what isn’t.

Wayne, can you present some strategies you use to facilitate this kind of learning with students?

Sign In to comment