Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

as an instructor in surgical technology, I allow my students to enter the lab. There will then be a table with instrumentation just thrown on it. I will then call out a name of an instrument and they have 5 seconds to find that instrument! It works great for them to learn to work under pressure!

In our clinic here, we have them to do many run throughs with SOAP note charting. We do different activities that involve made up clients and situations, to students using each other as a client. After they do their intake/interview process, they carry on with filling in their SOAP charts. They are then checked by the instructor to make sure they are using correct abbreviations and including the right amount information for the next person.

I have used event cards. Of course I didn"t know they were called event cards at the time.
My students have projects that they are responsible to complete and because they work at different paces, some are finished before others. Cards with additional assignments are handy as they allow for student participation and critical thinking. In addition, the student is not left to their own devices while the others finish their assignments.

I have used event cards in the past but didn't know they were called that. I love the idea of patient bingo. It could also be adjusted for a first day of class activity to get to know each other.

Yes, Tammy, I have used "people bingo" on the first day of class and it is a good activity to get to know people.

Because it is massage we carry laminated cards/signs. When we enter a clinic space we chose an appropriate card and show it to the student while they are working on a person. The cards can have suggestions on them, or requests to see a specific stroke. We also have a dry erase board for issues not on the cards. We also have cards that say, "Way to go" and "that looked great!" The students like the idea of being communicated to without disrupting the session and client.
Paul

Thanks for sharing this great idea. I will try the comments on my cards in the future along with the content.

I like the idea of having the student hold thier own clincal skills workshop in which they instructor and teach others who want to learn hands-on clinicla skills. They are able to use what they have learned in class through teaching others. In my opinion this really reinforces those concepts so that they don't forget and are really learning the rationale behind certain clincal skills.

I agree that a student must know the information backward and forward to demonstrate and teach it to peers.

I like the idea of the event cards to encourage critical thinking. I would like to use this tool for pharmacology which is usually the topic my students loathe. I could put a scenario on the card and have them tell me what medication would you use to treat this? This would make them think of the medication in a real life situation instead of just memorizing a bunch of names ad doses.

Leslie, I like this adaptation of event cards for pharmacology.

Staff surprises are a routine part of our clinical day included in post-conference. It gets students to think about morals and ethical issues when they observe questionable practices and shortcuts.
I also regularly ask students random critical thinking questions related to their assigned patient in order to reinforce the importance of understanding WHY things are done instead of just mindlessly doing things. Students respond well to the spontaneity of such questions because they say it keeps them on their toes. I guess this would be the equivalent of using event cards.

Marivic, it is great that you use similar activities to the ones I have. Similar teaching experiences with other instructors validates our best practices and allows us to grow.

I appreciate the individual teaching strategies that have been mentioned in this module that reinforce and facilitate the completion and practicing of skills.

As others have mentioned, the strategies that my instructors and I use in the clinical areas are first the presentation of the skill by demonstration which is done by the instructor or driven by a visual using DVD, Youtube etc. This is followed by practice, practice, practice and then being able to review case studies to demonstrate the critical thinking portion. The patient event cards are definitly something that we could use if the students have any down time during externship/clinical.

Catherine, you are fortunate to have the ability to take students into clinical areas for application of skills taught and real world job scenarios. This allows you to truly assess the students ability to think on their feet and make appropriate decisions.

event cards can create new enthuseasim for the subject .

playing jepordy helps students remember and they seem to enjoy playing

Event cards provide the student with a starting
point to demonstrate their knowledge about the topic. It is a proper tool in the real world
setting.

Playing anytype of game a trivial pursuit, hangman approach is both fun and educational

I like the idea of using specific gestures and signs for students to ask for help or give the instructor they need help. Staff surprises has always been used in our post conferences at clinical Students usually see a lot of things that need to be discussed as to what is protocol or changes in a procedure that is safe or not safe. Is this part of their job description, is it a protocol that goes along with their scope of practice. I love doing the debriefing of their experiences with the nursing staff on the floor.

Sign In to comment