Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It's a good idea to have the students involved in the writing and utilization of case scenarios, this way they get two chances to go through the materials. Thanks, Linda!

I have similated actual scenarios between the students. I have one student "act" out symptoms and the other student assess and treat the patient. The students seem to enjoy the role playing and they don't seem to realize they are using their critical thinking skills.

Great idea for developing and using critical thinking skills, Stacy. It also gives them real world experience that will be valuable on the job.

I primarily teach medical administration and insurance. Not only do I like to reinforce the content but also teach students how to find policies relevant to the state we are in. So, for example; when I teach record retention and storage, I assign students a project to look up retention standards for our state as well as surrounding states. Additionally I will have them research our state's Medicaid plan and present their findings to the class. Not only do they retain the content, but become more adept at locating and providing information and resources to their patients.

Kyla, this is a great way for the students to learn the information, but also models to them what they will do when they are doing the job and do not know some new policy, or standard. Thanks for sharing your idea.

When students come back to class from clinicals I like to have them tell me of a situation they were involved in. Then I will ask the class what would you have done in this situation. This allows the students to take what we discussed back to the clinical site and use it if they find themselves in a similar situation.

To assess critical thinking with my students, I usually present an issue to my student and ask them how they will "attack" that particular issue. This is really good in small groups and is similiar to the card idea. I make each student think about a different answer, since most issues can be "attacked" in different ways. This way, students understand the different option available for taking care of that patient and are challenged to critically think.

I like the image of attacking an issue, Heather. Exploring different option helps them to think critically, which is a necessary skill in a career.

Kevin, this is a great idea to help students anticipate a variety of situations they will be in at a clinical site.

I haven't taught or had students in a clinical setting. However, I do use a lot of critical thinking questions. My critical thinking questions can be in a variety of settings and scenarios. There are geared to make students think out of the box and to not be afraid to challenge the norm.

Getting students to think through a variety of situations is critical, factoring in the settings as well is helpful.

Treasure Hunts are always helpful for students to be familiar with the new facility and staff.

The ability to create a game and create a word to remember all that needs to be done.

Used a strategy tied to giving credit for questions, like a spelling bee.

Students loved it!

Dr. Regan

Glad to hear your students loved using the wholesome competition as a motivator for learning, it works!

The act of creating those two things takes time but is worth the investment because you can use it over and over.

I enjoy using event cards. I use them for group projects. The groups not only have to use critical thinking skills, I have them act out the situation on the event card and the solution they came up with. Then we discuss each event as a class, and offer suggestions as to the decisions they made. It is a fun project to do simply because of the "acting" aspect, but it also helps to retain the information because of the group interaction.

Nicole, thanks for sharing how you use event cards. This sort of problem solving rehearsal is a great approach to teaching career education.

I like to have my students give me a full detailed report on one of the patients. This can tell me if they can put the information in order and how well they assessed the patient. Later this will also tell me how much patient information they have looked up and if something is wrong, can they tell me how to fix the situation or the patient.

We have used the event cards, applying critical thinking is crucial to learning the profession, always a good learning skill to teach and utilize!

Sign In to comment