Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I was teaching my Clinical Microbiology class how to identify unknown bacterial isolates. We worked extensively with flowcharts that would pose a question concerning their bacterial isolate and then, depending on the answer to that question, would take the student down the path to other questions or would suggest biochemical tests that needed to be done and interpreted. After practicing as a class several times, each was given a series of 8 unknown bacterial samples to identify as their term project. For the final exam at the end of the term, I created a case study that required the students to then take a similar adventure using the flowcharts to identify the bacteria causing the patient to be ill. When they would reach a section of the flowchart that required them to perform a biochemical test, I had them use a "scratch-off card" that I made to determine the results of that biochemical test. There were only results for those biochemical tests that should have been performed. So, if they accidently went down the incorrect pathway on the flowchart, there would be no result for the biochemical test that they selected. That way, I was able to determine whether the student actually knew what they were doing, whether they made a mistake (and where they made that mistake), or whether they were simply guessing. I made the scratch off cards by creating a table in MS Word that listed all of the biochemical tests we discussed in class, and the results of the biochemical tests that were relevant to perform for the case study. I then laminated the form and used Wite-Out tape to cover the results area for all of the biochemical tests. The students could easily use their fingernail to scratch off the Wite-Out, but I provided a few coins next to that station that could be used as well. The students seemed to really enjoy this simulated activity.

Dawn, thank you so much for describing the process to create and use this terrific teaching activity. I love the white out use and will try it myself this week.

Michele Deck

We use washable markers to "draw" muscles on students. This reinforces where the muscle attaches & inserts as well as how big/small the muscle really is.

We've also used clay on a skeleton to show the same. The students love this because they get to see if a muscle is smooth or striated and how their techniques help or hurt that muscle.

Michelle, the washable markers are a great idea! I can see how this is beneficial to learning the content.
Michele Deck

I meet with students before completion of their clinicals to discuss experiences and compare skills or techniques they saw and what they were taught.

I liked the event cards to use prior to students going into thed clinical setting.

Leslie, I'm glad you like these. I hope you will implement them into your teaching plan.

Michele Deck

I have used case study with a compare and contrast method. I will create a Case Study then I will place students in small work groups to create a case study with the same topic or medications. I consistently remind the students that Case Studies are designed to stimulate critical thinking on the part of the reader.

Event cards (case studies) are an excellent way to help develop critical thinking skills without effecting real people. I like these because it builds confidence without harm to a patient. It is a nice change from rote learning. I love the idea of having the cards in my pocket and handing them out randomly out on the floor of the clinical setting.

Bethanne, this does allow for spontaneity and on the spot thinking, which simulates real world experience.

Michele Deck

I like the idea of the event cards in my clinical setting, I can't wait to try them

Celine, I know using this activity will give you wonderful results. Keep trying new ideas.

Michele Deck

Related learning experience at clinical setting
integrates scientific concepts and principles
in nursing and medicine.Questions that will enhance
integration and critical thinking are written on
pocket size kardex are given to students specific
to their patient's nursing and medical needs.
Learners will be stimulated to recall and apply
various concepts and able to understand needs
and problems ,thus implement scientific plan
of care.

Teresa, this is a great idea! Thank you for sharing it with us. Developing critical thinking is everything.

Michele Deck

I think the event cards are great. I do that without cards, and sometimes just throw a question to the student. I think that the students have to think quicker without the cards. I'll try the cards with fundamental nursing students, then gradually change.

Natalie, having the details on cards might help some students to focus on details they might have missed if it was just said to them once.

Michele Deck

I like your idea of the family feud type game. This is a great idea and I will start to use this in my class starting very soon.

I think using gestures to communicate with students is a great idea. I can provide feedback without embarassing the students or upsetting the patient. Educating the students about the gestures and practicing beforehand can prevent any confusion.

Kimberlee, I have found success with gestures and I'm happy you will be able to use this idea.

Michele Deck

We have used event cards to present real-world like experiences that enhance critical thinking.

Sign In to comment