Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I'm glad to hear event cards is part of your methodologies and I hope you've gained an idea or two you can use.

I do the same thing, I feel that it helps get all of the students involved and it lets me know that the material in the didactic setting is getting reinforced in the clinical setting.

While teaching First aid measures, I prepared different scenarios of clinical emergency cases and asked students to make groups of 2 and demonstrate to the class how they are going to handle their cases. The event turned to be a fun time while putting knowledge into practice. It is very similar to event cards and I can tell how effective it can be. Another method is to throw a scenario to the class and invite their creative responses, which may bring more life to the lecture and initiate a discussion among students.

These are both excellent suggestions, Paul. As you know teaching with scenarios can facilitate critical thinking.

The bingo will work with different types of theraputic communication as the squares and have the student document the ones they are using during thier conversations with the client.

Elizabeth, I like your adapting of the method to therapuetic communication, as that is sometimes difficultmfor leaners to grasp. This method will be a positive reinforcement activity.

I use the same attack approach with my students and find that it is very useful in helping student critically think through different case studies.

I currently use staff surprises as a strategy in the clinical setting. The opportunity to discuss techniques observed in their externship allows for teaching during post conference.

We currently use Staff Suprises as a teaching strategy in the clinical setting.The chance to discuss with the students the different techniques good or bad that they have seen during the day is an effective learning tool.

I try to use both visual (graphs, charts, etc) and writeen to appeal to all types of learners.

I too enjoy this creative teaching strategy with clinical students. Post conferencing is a wonderful way of allowing students to share their experiences and discuss how or why the experience could have been handled in a different light.

Diana

It is an effective strategy because real life situations create opportunities to observe and understand clinical practice.

Post conference is the place where students can debrief in a safe environment and learn from observations, both good and not so good techniques.

The more variety of methods you can use, the better the results you will see.

If we can model how to constructively give feedback on good and not so good performance in clinical, we are giving the learners life skills they will use on the job.

I haven't really had the opportunity to use a creative teaching strategy in a clinical or on the job setting, but am hoping to use some of the ideas presented in this course.

I have students assigned in two floors of the facility; I would definitely use the "Dot on Watch" strategy.

Yes, it is a great way to track who has completed which clinical goals that day.

I utilize "Staff Surprises" all of the time with my clinical classes and it works out great. I teach Surgical Technology and my students go out on 2 clinical rotations each 8 weeks long in major hospital operating rooms. They work 8, 10, or 12 hour days and they see alot of good and bad things. While they are in school we emphasize to them that we teach you the right way in school but that when you go out in the field you will see people with alot of bad habits and do not adopt those bad habits or we will fail you.

I have meetings twice per week and the discussions are filled with examples of "bad habits"; many of which are coming from surgeons. I stress to my students to remember the right way and do not adopt those bad habits because you are putting the life of your patient at risk. I also stress to be very quiet and not say a word to anyone; there will be time for that after graduation. They are all frustrated but they understand.

Tammi Smith CST, MBA

Tammi, your approach on this topic is very wise. Keep up the good work!

Sign In to comment