Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gestures are great creative teaching strategies in the clinical setting areas to assist students as a remainder while performing patient care.

"Staff Surprises" comes to mind! We had a "teachable moment" when students observed RN administering insulin in the dining room of a facility, ungloved, wiping away excess insulin with the back of her hand! OMG! What a moment!

Mary Ellen, I'm sure that was quite a moment! This surprise theme allows it to be safe to share all sorts of observations.

Michele Deck

Hi
On-the-job settings are a fascinating world!
Most employees find a "work-around" for a required task more easily than performing the task correctly the first time.
So, the teaching strategy of "staff surprises" is the "name of the game"! I take a variation on a theme by using discussion to "talk through" the consequences and issues that arise from these "work arounds". We incorporate risk management, quality improvement and LEAN techniques which creates solutions that sometimes the staff did not realize.
thanks
Susan

SUSAN, thank you for sharing how you develop critical thinking skills in your students. That is the foundation of success after graduation.

Michele Deck

I would like to use the event cards but with a little modification. I am a medical biller/medical coding instructor and I could read and event in class and the students would have to choose the diagnosis/procedure to code.

Evangeline, this would be a wonderful opening or review activity.

Michele Deck

A creative teaching strategy, that I have seen students adapt well to are the event cards. This is a great concept that can be used in medical terminology class where so much information needs to be absorbed in a short period of time. It emphasizes the learning method of visual, reading and writing.

Beatrice, I agree that event cards are great teaching tools. They can be used in a variety of ways.

Michele Deck

we use scenarios in lab that will be relative to the real world so sometimes when the other students come in as volunteers during lab for injections or for venipuncture i will have prepped them with a scenario such as history of a mastectomy or being a difficult patient for the my lab students and they all seem to appreciate how it plays out - even just the spectators

Amanda, simulating real world scenarios helps to build problem solving skills and build confidence.

Michele Deck

When giving anesthesia to the patients I ask the students to go down a written checklist of what they learned in class before they start the procedure. By doing this 3 or 4 times, it has become a mental habit for them to do it before they start and they don't have to look at the written checklist anymore.

I use index cards a lot. I have found that it is a tried and true method that is still very effective.

Valerie, I like that index cards are an inexpensive supply that is easily found and utilized.

Michele Deck

I like the idea of "Staff Surprises". This will give my students an opportunity during class to discuss what they are experiencing at their clinical rotation sites. We can reinforce that we teach the "Gold Standard" but that they will see many techniques and methods at hospitals. It will also give us an opportunity to share new ideas and techniques that they are learning.

Lisa, it is a way to open an honest and important conversation.

Michele Deck

I also use scenarios as a teaching method as I want the students to start thinking and not just memorizing facts. I feel it is important for them to start using their critical thinking and using patient scenarios have been very helpful to my students.

I also use scenarios as a teaching method as I want the students to start thinking and not just memorizing facts. I feel it is important for them to start using their critical thinking and using patient scenarios have been very helpful to my students.

Cheryl, teaching critical thinking is tough, but possible. Thank you for reminding us of its importance.

Michele Deck

Utilizing case studies on a regular basis trains student in critical thinking as it relates to real life scenarios. Also it teaches them to apply the techniques and materials that they are studying to be excellent allied health care professionals. I have never tried the Patient/Bingo personally but I really like this teaching strategy and will be implementing this next term.

Sign In to comment